"Shut the hell up." Chigiri harshly cut him off. "Rin chose you. So shut up and go on ahead."

"For real." Barou growled. "If I have to look at you any longer, I'd want to punch that idiotic face. So get lost, donkey."

"Yeah, man." Nagi sighed. "When we meet again, I'm going to crush you for being picked. We don't need you."

Isagi hesitated. "You'd better climb up. You're not falling behind now." He followed Rin to the winners' gate, and next to Y/N, Bachira scampered after him, cheering as he leapt onto Isagi's back.

Y/N laughed quietly at the sight, before turning to Team White.

"Hey, Chigiri?"

The pink-haired boy looked up at him with such a torn, aggrieved expression Y/N's next breath caught in his throat. He was breathing hard, barely able to get out more words. "What...?"

A few seconds passed, Y/N fidgeting with his hands as he stood there. Chigiri's eyes softened just a tad, and that was all Y/N needed to rush at him.

He slammed Chigiri with a hug, making him stumble back a few steps as Y/N buried his face in his shoulder. "You're gonna make it out of this selection."

"I-I know." Chigiri mumbled.

"Promise me?"

"Promise."

Y/N took a shaky breath. Then, he pushed away from Chigiri, turning to walk out of the winners' gate without a single look back. All three boys' eyes followed him out.

It didn't take him long to catch up with Rin and the rest of his team. As soon as the door closed behind him, he sped up, stumbling down a dark corridor in the blind hope he wouldn't accidentally run into a wall.

Eventually, he hit something similar to a wall. The thing hissed with annoyance, and a moment later a hand slapped Y/N. "Watch where you're going!"

"Oh, hi there Rin." Immediately knowing who it was, Y/N slowed down, trying to keep Rin ahead of him. He could barely see anything in the darkness - just a few blurry layers of black moving over others.

They walked in the dark for a minute. Y/N was at the back, behind Rin and another person who he assumed was Aryu. Bachira and Isagi were up ahead, Bachira's laughing loud and clear.

With a surge of bright light, they emerged from the tunnel out into a small room. Ego Jinpachi was already waiting for them on a high screen, fingers steepled as he leant back in a black leather chair. "The first clear team..."

His eyes ran over each of them, showing no sign of any emotion. "Welcome, diamonds in the rough. I'm sure it's been a tough battle to get here, but you've cleared the second selection."

Ego spread his hands. "By now, you've figured out the principle behind creating chemical reactions between egos, and you've honed your individual weapons to an... acceptable standard. As promised, we will now hold a training camp with five of the best players in the world."

Y/N was bored, just sitting there listening to the monologue. But everyone else was watching Ego intently.

"I'm sure you're all raring to get going. The training camp will begin with a five-a-side game against the World Five tomorrow morning, who I have handpicked. Proceed through the door, and for now enjoy the comfort of better facilities."

A door opened to one side of the room, and Ego smiled. "Isagi Yoichi, Rin Itoshi, stay. I have a lesson for you about luck. The rest of you are free to go." He made a shooing motion with one hand, ushering Y/N, Aryu, and Bachira out of the room.