2 | portraits

₊‧꒰ა❤︎໒꒱ ‧₊

Sana stared at her teacher in disbelief. 

"He's going to be my partner?"

"Yes, Sana. Aren't you excited to bond together as classmates?" Her art teacher beamed at her.

Sana said nothing, continuing to stare at her teacher. First, he became her classmate again. Now, he was also her art class partner. Just her luck.

Shrest grinned at her. "Scared to be my partner?"

"No." Sana whirled around, padding to her workstation.

"We're going to draw portraits." Shrest stated the obvious, tagging along behind her. "You better draw me as handsome as I am."

Sana, "..."

Who said you were handsome?

Sana shook her head. Once she had found out that Shrest was her classmate, she had borrowed a particular book from the library - the art of emotional warfare.

The first rule of the book - never give your opponent a reaction.

Following that, she ignored Shrest's attempts at winding her up.

Once they had arranged the sketching books the school had given them, they set out to complete their task, silence falling over them.

The art teacher, who had heard of the legendary water fight between the two of them, glanced at them, warily.

There wouldn't be a problem in partnering them up...hopefully. It wasn't her idea, anyways. It was a direct command from the coordinator.

The art teacher decided to focus on other kids and avoid being paranoid.

Nearly 15 minutes later, she heard Shrest snicker. She glanced up at him, suspicion brewing.

"Now, why are you laughing?"

"I'm not laughing."

"You are."

"I'm not."

Sana let out a breath. Ignore the opponent. Right.

A few minutes later, she heard another snicker. Once again, she peeked at him. His face was stoic. She blinked and got back to her work.

He was such an idiot.

After half an hour, the art teacher asked each student to display their works.

Finally, Shrest and Sana's turn came.

Sana proudly displayed her work. It was a little clumsy and lacked technique but it was a portrait good enough for a second grader. Sana lifted her nose up, proudly. She had managed to capture his bratty expression perfectly.

"Shrest, why don't you show your picture?"

Shrest glanced at the class. Then, a mischievous grin emerged putting both Sana and the art teacher on their guard.

He lifted up his sketchbook.

He had drawn a potato.

The entire class stared at him for a moment before bursting into laughter.

Sana felt her dignity crumble down and reach the core of Earth. She tore the page of her portrait and crumpled it into a ball, throwing it at Shrest.

"You're such an idiot!"

Shrest mimicked her move and threw his own ball at her. Then, it led to a paper fight.

Sana and Shrest stared at the principal, who stared back at them.

"First, a water fight-" They winced. "Now a paper fight. What have I told you about wasting resources?"

Sana and Shrest fell into an obedient silence, looking down at their feet.

"Shrest, why did you draw a potato? You were supposed to draw Sana."

"Because she is a potato."

The principal, "..."

Sana, "..."

The principal let out a sigh and rubbed her forehead. "You can fight but do it verbally. You will not waste any resources during your fight, as these things are precious."

Sana and Shrest nodded.

"Now, go back to your classes. I hope we don't meet again in my office like this."

Sana and Shrest hopped down from their chairs.

As they walked to their class, Shrest broke the silence. "Potatoes are my favourite vegetable. It wasn't an insult."

Then, he slipped in. Sana stared at him. That idiot.

 ₊‧꒰ა❤︎໒꒱ ‧₊

wordcount: 573 words