Chapter 3: Radha

I can't remember when I got out of the car, or when we walked up to the hotel rooms. I was just too sleepy. All I remember is plopping on the bed in the room I shared with Sahira, my bestest friend. We were at a school conference in New York, and we all got to share rooms in a hotel for a week. Yesterday was the last day, which meant we were going back home today.

"Radha? Radha! Girl, wake up! Mrs. Carol told everyone to be at breakfast by 9:00 AM. You only have half an hour!!" Sahira said, shaking me awake.

I blinked and covered my eyes with my hands as the sunlight fell on my face from the open window.

"Do you have to open the window? You know I hate it," I muttered sleepily while getting up.

Sahira just ignored me as she combed her hair in front of the mirror. "I already showered, the bathroom is all yours. Come out fast, I can't wait here forever. I'm going in 20 minutes with Sid and Arjun, you better be ready by then.

I grunted on hearing that trashcan's name first thing in the morning, but made my way to the bathroom. After 20 long minutes of washing up, I came out of the bathroom in jeans, a white tank top, and full-sleeved plaid top buttons open. I let my hair down, too tired to do anything with it. I didn't put on any make up, I never do. It's just so..., unnatural. Plus I look weird in it.

"Let's go," I said, grabbing my phone and pulling on my sneakers.

Sahira opened the door and knocked on the boys door right in front of ours.

"Coming!" Sid yelled from the other side. I flinched as I heard things being thrown around and something crash on the floor. After a whole lot of noise, Arjun yanked the door open and greeted us with a cold stare.

"We're ready," he said.

"Come on, let's go!" Sid said excitedly while locking his door with the key card.

The four of us headed down, Sid, Sahira, and I engaged in a deep conversation about the best breakfast food (obviously pancakes, you can't fight me on this one). Meanwhile, Arjun just kept pulling out his phone and scrolling, his eyebrows constantly scrunched up in frustration.

"What's up with Mr. Golden Child? Did his girlfriend break up with him or something?" I joked when Arjun wasn't looking. It's a joke, that trash can will never get a girlfriend. Have you seen his face?

"He was supposed to get an email from Cornell if he got accepted this week. He didn't get it, and it's driving him up the wall. I mean seriously! We still have four more days left in the week! He's just unnecessarily worrying," Sid said, concern slipping into his voice.

Sid and Arjun have been the bestest of friends since a very young age, just like Sahira and I. We all had a group project in middle school, and Sid and I immediately became good friends. After Sahira, I'd trust him with my life - Sid is the best guy friend one can have. Sid and Sahira- well those two decided to take the other route besides friendship. Not that I'm complaining, I think they're perfect for each other. But stupid them just won't admit it to each other. So if you ask, they'll say we're 'just friends'. Sureeee.

And Arjun and I - I don't even think I need to explain that. We clearly hate each other. We have been enemies since the day I met him. To make matters worse, our parents were really close, meaning we were always doing things together, our parents wouldn't have it otherwise. For us, it just gives us time to build our hatred for each other. Simple.

Sahira brought my thoughts back to the present by saying, "the only person who would be happy about Arjun going to Cornell would be Radha."

"Really? I thought-"