07 ➵ park

This chapter is dedicated to all of you who read, vote, comment and fan. Updating this story has been one of the easiest things to do because I know you all enjoy reading this story. Thanks for the support on my book. Enjoy.

ILLUSION

[chapter seven]

BREATHING in and out, I tried to calm myself down as we wandered farther into the woods

BREATHING in and out, I tried to calm myself down as we wandered farther into the woods. I stopped dead in my tracks when I heard the monster's roar echo from a distance. The magnitude of the sound had my ears ringing. I still hadn't moved as I stood there in disbelief. I couldn't believe that just happened. What started out as a somewhat normal day has harbored an awful, life scaring event.

I had actually survived an attack from a dinosaur. An animal that used to be extinct. As in no more, but it was definitely not extinct anymore.

I was in complete shock.

"Mari!"

I was shaken from my daze as I looked into Zach's warm brown eyes. He had wrapped his sweatshirt around his waist and his hair was swept back. "We should keep going. The longer we walk, the farther we get from that thing."

I slowly got up and made my way to where Gray was waiting. I was too busy worrying about me that I hadn't asked, or even wondered, if he was okay. I could see it in his eyes that he was a little startled, but otherwise okay.

I threw my arm around his shoulders and surprised myself by lacing my hand in Zach's. I felt his hand stiffen, before finally relaxing and griping mine. I looked him in the eyes. "Let's get out of here."

I didn't realize how big this island actually was until I was walking through the never ending cycle of woods and valleys. My hair laid knotted and still damp on my shoulder from perspiration and water. My t-shirt stuck to my skin, and probably left nothing to the imagination.

I leaned on a tree, trying not to slip. My converse weren't going to be dry for at least the next few hours. I surveyed my surroundings, I noticing something dark pecking out from behind the tall bushes. I sucked in a breath, anticipating a dinosaur to come bursting out. When nothing happened, I made my way over to it.

A part of a large wooden door almost hidden in the over grown trees and bushes revealed itself to me. A land lost before time, tucked away where no one can find it.

"Hey, guys. Come see this," I called, waving for them to come over. I stepped into the tall grass. Brushing away the vines that grew along the door, I pushed. The door budged, but didn't open. I could hear a creek signaling that it wasn't locked. I heard Gray and Zach come up behind me to help push.

Dust filled my nose as we entered. Coughing, I looked around the place. The ceiling, which must have seen a beautiful glass dome, was now covered by the trees. Only a few rays of sunlight managed to find their way into the atrium. I carefully stepped over the clutter on the ground.

"Gray, do you still have those matches," I heard Zach ask. He held what looked to be a dinosaur bone, the scapula. Gray handed him the match box and Zach lit one, using the bone as a torch.

"Smart," I smirked. Zach has definitely proved me wrong. He wasn't just phone obsessed and self-centered, he was intuitive and resourceful.

As we walked through the rubble, I noticed a mural I had seen online. "I think this is a part of the original park," I say as I carefully touched the painted velociraptor. The mural carried on until the very back of the observation center.

"Hey, look at these," I heard Gray shout. I walked into a back room and saw him holding a pair of binoculars. They were green and yellow, the colors of the old park. "Awesome," he said and placed them in front of his eyes.

"I hate to ruin your fun, Gray," Zach interrupted, actually sounding sincere, "But we really need to find a way back to the center of the park."

"We should find your aunt and my father. They would know what's going on."

"Zach, Mari. Over here," Gray called from a distance.

"What do you keep finding," I laughed.

He pulled up a tarp reveling two Off-Roading cars. "They're 1993 Ford Explorers from the original Jurassic Park."

"Woah," I ran my hand down the front of the car. It was green and yellow and had the old Jurassic Park symbol. I glanced at Zach, "Do you think they can run? I don't know much about cars, but I've researched a few things."

Zach laughed, "Nerdy much?" He chuckled. "Don't worry, I've got this."

I rolled my eyes, smiling to myself. So he's back to being cocky again. I took a deep breath. I can do this. We'll get out of here safely. I couldn't help but think that this was the reason why I needed to shut this place down. They clearly made some new hybrid dino. Not even Gray knew what it was.

Jurassic World wasn't safe anymore. There is some dangerous monster T-Rex running lose and the thousands of people here, kids included, with no place to go. What if someone dies? What is history repeats itself? I couldn't let that happen. Once we get out of these woods and Zach and Gray are safe, I'll do what I meant to do and take down Jurassic World.

I refocused my attention to Zach and Gray.

"Gray, remember when we fixed up Grandpa's car last summer," Zach asked. Gray nodded, excited.

I stepped out of their away as they searched the room, which I now realized was a garage, for parts. I sat in a chair beside Zach. With my arm resting on the hood, I watched them lazily.

"Alright," Zach announced after at least twenty minutes, clapping his hands, "I think I did it." He turned to me and winked. I rolled my eyes to cover up my blush. I looked over at Gray and caught him glaring at Zach. He coughed, getting Zach's attention.

"I mean, we did it," he corrected. I smiled. This was the carefree Zach and Gray. Zach walked to sit in the driver's seat, starting the engine. I crossed my fingers, hoping that it would work. The engine revved up. I high-fived Gray as he slid in between Zach and I.

Zach smirked at me. "Admit it. You love me even more now."

I narrowed my eyes. This again? I smiled back. "Too bad you're sitting too far away. I would kiss you as a reward," I said. His eyes lit up. I scrunched up my nose pretending to be discussed. "But that would be repulsing."

Zach rolled his eyes, grumbling something under his breath and pulled out of the garage. "Wait, are you even old enough to drive?" I laughed.

"I'm sixteen," announced proudly. I didn't notice that he was younger than me. I had turned seventeen just last week.

I smirked. "I'm seventeen," I purred. "You know, more mature and," I covered Gray's ears, "experienced." I winked at him as his eyes widened. I had almost forgotten how much fun it is to mess with him.

"Can we just go now," interrupted Gray.

Suddenly another roar sounded. It was getting close. Zach quickly floored the car and we sped off deeper into the woods hoping that there would be an opening on the other side.