Eavesdropper

Prompt: reader works at the park as Owens assistant and one day when she think no ones around shes sitting on the ground in the cage (where Owen was talking to the new guy after he saved him) and Blue is standing staring at her while she talks about how she has a crush on owen, and he over hears

Requested by: Anon
~~

It had been an incredibly normal day. You had helped Owen with the vaccinations, filed your paperwork, and finished your midterm paper on the advanced principles of mammal, reptile, and amphibian training methods. You were so close to your doctorate, you could almost taste it.

But none of that was what was preying on your thoughts this evening.

The sun had set a few minutes ago, the western sky tinted beautiful hues of pink and orange. The colors just seemed so much richer over the ocean that they did back in your hometown.

No, tonight you were otherwise occupied, thinking that all of the other workers had gone off to finish paperwork or had returned to their rooms for the night. You were sitting just outside of the main raptor cage, in the smaller one used for holding and preparation.

Your thoughts were all consumed by one Owen Grady who had once again, found another way to worm his way into your heart.

"It's just not fair," You tell Blue, who had come over to stare at you. She always seemed to like you more than the other three, or maybe she was just hungry and trying to figure out a way to get through the bars.

Either way, she made for a great listener.

"I mean, it's not really his fault, I guess. But my goodness- he could make it a little easier to work for him."

Owen Grady was simultaneously the best and worse boss you had ever had.

"I'm tired of this, 'Oh, Owen must still be back at the bungalow- could you go and get him, (y/n)?"

You remembered that like it was yesterday.

"Blue, could you please tell me that it is not normal to be shirtless while working on a motorcycle? Because your freaking Alpha seems to think that it is perfectly okay."

Blue gives a purr that you take to be understanding.

"And don't get me started on his smile. Or how protective he is of you guys, or the way he talks about his joy for life. And heaven forbid I mention his intelligence, or the way he is so kind to everyone."

You sigh, laying down on the hard dirt beneath you, looking to the darkening sky.

"It's happening again, Blue. I'm falling for another guy who seems to be the perfect- well, in this case; Owen's case- everything."

You groan as you hear Blue's odd chortle, knowing she's probably laughing at your complete pathetic-ness.

"I'm not that perfect you know," you hear outside the door of the safety cage, and your heart stops.

Your eyes slam closed, your body tensing for the oncoming rejection.

"Go away, I was talking to Blue-" You groan, wishing to postpone this moment for the rest of your life.

"You know they tell me everything, right? That's kind of the Alpha rule. I get to know it all."

You wish you couldn't imagine the smirk on his face.

You hear the cage opening, and you stand, ready to face your doom.

"Can we just pretend this little conversation never happened and just go on being civil co-workers?" You ask dryly, but inside your head you are begging and pleading so hard.

"No," he says simply, a frown dulling his handsome features.

"Owe-"

The kiss is passionate, slow, and unrelenting. If you had wanted to break free, you couldn't have.

His right hand comes around to the back of your head, the left pulling you toward him at the small of your back. He breaths deeply when he connects with you, like he's been waiting for so long.

You love the feel of him, the scruff of his facial hair against your cheeks, the way he kisses you so urgently, but gently. He tastes like oranges and smells like dust after rain.

You hear Blue making that chortle sound again, and Owen smiles against your lips.

Your hands have made their way to his hair, traveling down his neck and onto his strong shoulders. It's not long before you have to gently push him away, regaining your breath.

"I don't think we want to forget that little conversation, now do we?" He whispers, voice sounding deep and throaty.

You close your eyes, ready for him to pull you to him again.