Cid narrowed his eyes. "Sounds like an ass waitin' to be kicked. I'll be glad to help ya bring him down, Jessie."

"He won't get away this time," Tifa agreed.

"Not a chance in hell," Jessie swore. "I still owe him for what he did to Lydia. She was just a kid and he shot her."

Vincent glanced sharply at her. "Did she survive?"

"Yeah," she replied.

"He won't," Vincent promised.

I felt the same as I gave Jessie a firm nod. "We're not leaving Wutai until we nail that slimeball, Jessie. We'll get him."

"I love you, Cloud," she smirked.

"As it seems you all are familiar with this man, I leave him to you," Godo said. "However, should you run afoul of Shinra, you must leave. I cannot placate them if you are causing them trouble."

I shook my head. "They're already after you. That's why we're here. We intercepted a group of soldiers on our way to the city, and they said the Turks had been assigned to take you out."

"So it comes at last," he murmured softly. "I wondered why it took so long for them to act. But if I fight, it may harm Wutai. Perhaps I can reason with them and turn them away from their task."

Suddenly, there was an explosion of sound from outside, shouts of surprise from the guards followed by the unmistakable bursts of magic. And then, just a minute later, Yuffie rushed in, materia glowing on her silver armlet and the new six-pointed shuriken she carried. As soon as she saw us, she froze, then motioned to her father.

"Come on, Dad!" she urged him. "Let's get outta here!"

He frowned at her. "No. Stop this foolishness at once! If we fight, it only invites Shinra to finish what they began."

Yuffie's eyes narrowed. "What's the matter with you!?"

"What?" Godo blinked. "Yuffie!"

She ran into the room. "Are you really that scared? My friends here aren't! They're fighting Shinra like you and all the rest of the Wusheng oughta be! How can you just sit there and do nothing!?"

"Silence!" he ordered. "What would you know about it?"

Yuffie went on. "They beat you once and so you gave up? That's it? What happened to you, Dad? Used to be nothing could stop you. What happened to the mighty Wutai I used to know?"

Godo stalked toward her, his dark eyes blazing. "You disrespectful little child! How dare you speak to me like that!"

"That's the only way I can get through to you!" she fired back. "You sure are stubborn! Don't you order me around! Mom would be so mad if she could see what you let happen to our home!"

"Iyufikara Kisaragi!" Godo thundered. "BE SILENT!"

Yuffie gulped. "Oh, shit..."

"You will not speak of your mother to me! Not when you are acting like such a terrible daughter! I am ashamed of you! And why have you returned home alone like this? Where is Sonon?"

"He... he didn't make it," she sighed.

Godo stared icily at her. "Explain. What happened?"

Hesitantly, Yuffie told him about her ill-fated venture with Sonon into Scarlet's Advanced Weapons Research lab hidden in the bowels of the Shinra Building. She'd never spoken of it until now, but Jessie gazed knowingly at her, sympathy and understanding in her eyes. I wondered if Yuffie had opened up to her about it already, at least somewhat. They had met on the way to Fort Condor, before the rest of us had gotten to know her, so I supposed it was possible. And I felt for her, too. Losing a friend is never easy. He had given his life for her.