Chapter 4

When Firey woke up on Monday morning, he scrunched his face in frustration as he heard heavy rain on the pane of his bedroom window.

He really didn't want to go to work, as usual but if he didn't then he wouldn't get a paycheck and that was something he did want.

After pulling on his work clothes, he walked to the kitchen, adjusting his tie as he brewed some coffee.

Leafy was watching him from the couch, a blanket wrapped around her with pillows in a little pile, almost like a little nest.

Firey yawned and rubbed his eyes as he leaned against the counter, wishing that the coffee could just be finished so he could drink it and leave.

"What are you doing?" Leafy asked.

"Getting ready for work," Firey sighed.

"What do you do?"  Leafy said, looking at him with seemingly real interest.

"I help process data for a company, I also do a bit of communications work too, sometimes I do write ups to keep track of statistics and sometimes I place orders for office supplies," First explained.

"Indeed," Leafy nodded.

"You didn't understand a word I said, did you?" Firey said, raising an eyebrow.

Leafy didn't say anything, she knew it was pointless to deny it but still, she didn't want to give him the satisfaction.

She turned away in a huff but kept him in her line of sight, trying to figure out what he was even doing.

He was wearing a white shirt with a deep orange tie and black trousers and red socks.

There was tiredness in his eyes, he had a constant glare and he fidgeted impatiently.

However, despite all of that he didn't look half bad to Leafy, a bit of decent sleep and a more pleasant expression she would consider him fairly good looking.

"What?" Firey said, snapping Leafy out of her thoughts.

Hm, maybe he didn't even need to change, in a way, she kind of liked the whole "look" he had.

"Stop staring at me, it's creepy," Firey scoffed, pouring himself some coffee.

"I wasn't staring, don't flatter yourself, as if I would ever stare at someone like you," Leafy snapped, feeling flustered.

"Uh huh, sure," Firey replied, unimpressed.

"You're very annoying," Leafy shrugged, narrowing her eyes.

"Says you, couch-crasher," Firey retorted.

"It's your fault I'm here!" Leafy shouted and a green bolt of static energy snaked around her arms before quickly fading.

"Sorry," Firey muttered, not wanting to anger her further.

Leafy sat back, feeling a little bad for startling him, she wrapped the blanket around herself, feeling rather cold.

She didn't want to threaten him but sometimes she just couldn't control when little sparks of her power got out, especially when she was agitated.

It would be better if she could get along with Firey, he didn't have the strength to actually fight back against her so using her power against him felt unfair and a little cruel.

However, he did seem to know how to irritate her, what he lacked in magic he made up for with his words.

He was cute in a way, he was able to cook and he did try to show her how things work for humans.