Chapter 79

Kanak didn't want to either question her luck or praise it. Because she was suddenly superstitious. She didn't want to spook it. Though she had wanted to intervene when he had been speaking to Palak but she hadn't. He had been livid. And that too on her behalf. Besides Palak needed someone to show her the mirror. Maybe it would lead her to think about some much needed things and help her work towards bettering herself. She had seen the anger subside almost immediately as Palak left and she had sensed his discomfort too. He was such a sweetheart. And all because he was wondering if she approved of the way he had just behaved. So she had hugged him. She had felt his surprise and had smiled despite the upset she had received. He had held her close to his heart. And she had felt his love envelope her. He was there for her. She knew it. And he would always be there for her. As she whispered his new nickname to him she heard him groan.

"You have got to be kidding me," he said and his chest rumbled with the noise he was making, "'sweetheart'?" he said on a complaint, "Don't ruin my reputation," he said firmly and then raised her head so he could see her face. His fingers gently gliding over her cheeks wiping the tears away. "She hurt you didn't she," he stated crossly.

"It doesn't matter," she said warmly, "she never means it," she explained.

"And yet it hurts," he said gently shaking his head.

"She said something about you leaving your post..." she said and let her voice trail off.

"Kanak," Aarav said seriously, "I know what I am doing and you will just have to trust me on this," he said.

"I do trust you Aarav," Kanak said in a soothing voice, "you know that," she said softly, "I just don't want you to create a distance from your family is all," she said and placed a hand on his heart.

"I know," Aarav said and holding her hand in his, raised it to his lips then placed a gentle kiss on her palm, "I know what you mean Kanak," he said then sighed, "I love my mom Kanak and I am taking a big step, but it is not just because of you," he said quietly, "it is because of me too," he told her, "I won't be able to stay in the choking environment anymore, especially if I will be forced to leave you," he said firmly, "and they need to understand that," he said then framed Kanak's face in his hands, "I love you Kanak, never doubt that," he said putting all his emotions into those words, "but if for some reason I won't be able to make you mine," he said with difficulty, "I will still be beside you," he said and Kanak's eyes filled with tears again, "for always," he said as he kissed her forehead, "will you still walk with me?" he asked.

"Do you still need to ask me that," Kanak replied softly.

Aarav looked at Kanak. What good had he ever done that destiny had been so kind to him. He didn't want to know neither he cared. This beautiful, wonderful girl loved him and that was enough. He smiled. And she did too. And all the tension he had felt since last night left him. Her smile was like a balm to his aching soul. His gaze slid to her lips. And they parted slightly, inviting him. He bent his head towards her and she rose on tiptoe to meet him halfway. Her eyes closed in anticipation. But he paused last second. And Kanak's eyes flew open.

"Why are you so short?" he asked.

Kanak frowned in confusion then in mock anger. When he had looked at her so lovingly she had felt an amazing thrill run down her body. And then he had bent his head towards her and this time she was sure there was no hesitation on her part and she had stood up on the tips of her toes to meet him halfway when he had stopped and she had opened her eyes to look at him quizzically. Then he had asked her the silliest of things ruining the beauty of the moment.

"What?" Kanak asked as if she couldn't believe his words then shook her head,

"I could ask the same Mr.," she said in mock anger, "why are you so tall?" she asked irritated.

Aarav smiled broadly. She was such a sweet little thing. It was so easy to get her all riled up. So much fun. And it had been such a long time since he had done it. He had kind of missed seeing the fire in her eyes. And he preferred her this way than the sad look she had been wearing for some time now.

"I do have an easy solution for the problem though," he shrugged and said.

"Solution?" Kanak asked puzzled.

"Yes," Aarav said and just before Kanak could get what he was up to, he put his hands on her waist and picked her up and she squealed loudly in surprise as she quickly placed her hands on his shoulders for support lest she fell. Aarav placed her feet on the coffee table. Now she was a head taller than him. "That is better," he said and before she could protest he placed a quick firm kiss on her lips which had opened in protest of his action. By the time he was finished Kanak had a bemused expression on her face and Aarav had a satisfied grin.

"I am taller than you now," Kanak said trying to get her brain to work.

"Yes, you are," Aarav said and placed a stray strand of hair behind her ear, "and you look beautiful, now that you are much closer to view," he added.

"I am not that short," Kanak said smilingly.

"No, not now you are not," Aarav said arrogantly.

"And you called Palak mean," Kanak muttered.

"That she is," Aarav said firmly.

Kanak shook her head. It was good to see him relaxed a bit. And she liked this playful side to him. Who knew beneath all the layers of the persona Aarav was there was a fun person too. And she was glad he could be himself with her. He may not show this side of his to others and he didn't need to but with her he had stopped wearing those numerous masks.

"So what next?" Kanak asked.

"Let's go shopping," Aarav said smiling at her.

"Shopping?" Kanak said loudly. "But you hate shopping," she said and furrowed her brows. She realized she still stood on the table and his hands were still on her waist.

"True," Aarav said as if he himself was pondering over the idea, "but I don't own a pair of jeans," he announced.

Kanak was super surprised. He didn't have a pair of jeans in his wardrobe. Why? Everyone did. It was one the most essential things one should have.

"You don't have a pair of jeans in your wardrobe," she stated what he had just admitted.

"No," Aarav said amused at her expression of disbelief.

"Why not?" Kanak asked.

"Because I don't like the fabric," Aarav answered simply.

"You don't like the..." Kanak didn't even complete the sentence. Was it bizarre? This conversation. No, it was fun. It was a very simple fact about him that she hadn't known. Now she did. "Is that why you always wear trousers?" she asked in amusement.

"I like trousers," Aarav answered defensively.

"So why do you want a pair of jeans now," Kanak asked with a smile.

"Because," Aarav said, "I want to try it and see if I can like it," he told her, "and since you would be with me it would be a different experience," he told her simply.

Kanak was touched. He was a sweetheart. No doubt. None whatsoever. She grinned. Then on impulse gave him a quick kiss taking advantage of her superior position for now.

"Fine," Kanak said, "let's go," she said and jumped down the coffee table then went inside to wear her shoes.

Whatever happened in future these would be their moments alone. Where no one would be able to take away their happiness. And she didn't want to miss out on these. Making as many memories as she could. It didn't matter if the whole world was plotting against them for now. They were secure in the cocooned shelter of how they felt for each other.

And for every no there is a yes. And situations did have a way of turning positive for everyone involved. Would the same happen for Aarav and Kanak or would they fall victims to fate?

***********************

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!