"What are you doing here?" Palak asked on a croak.

"The question could be well put to you too," Aarav said pinning her with his angry gaze, "though you needn't answer that. I know you are here to discredit your sister after you got the news from your wonderful husband," he said with a sarcastic smile.

"She is my sister and I have every right to visit her," Palak argued.

"Is that so?" Aarav said sarcastically, "Is Kanak really your sister?" he asked and Palak glared at him.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Palak asked.

"You said she is your sister," Aarav emphasized on the word 'sister', "but I have yet to see one emotion that would make me believe you are even related," he said dangerously.

"You know what," Palak said casting caution to the wind, "you are exactly what mom says," she said angrily, "you are a self-conceited, arrogant individual who thinks he is God and the rest should be subservient to you," she spat.

"Palak..." Kanak started indignantly when Aarav took a step towards his sister-in-law and Kanak immediately fell silent.

"And what does your beloved mother in-law say about you," he asked his tone dipping so low Kanak felt goose bumps on her arms. "Don't make the mistake of thinking that just because you are pregnant you have been forgiven," he warned in frigid tones, "the truth of your marriage is yet to come out," he reminded, "and what will she do when that happens only she knows," he stated, "and just so you know, I won't be around to take the blame this time. It would be you and Dhruv," he said tonelessly, "make sure you have your excuses ready. As for me I don't care two hoots about what you or anybody else has to think or say. I am who I am," he said proudly, "and I am not because of you. I am arrogant and I kind of enjoy that nickname," he said seriously which made Kanak smile a little, "and all the names you just called me I am all of those as well and more. And I accept all of it with pride but what am I supposed to call you," he asked and Palak who had paled to the extent of almost being similar to a ghost felt her mouth drop open. "This girl," he said and pointed at Kanak who was struggling with her emotions and trying not to let the tears fall, "is your cousin. Your parents did a great thing when they took her in after she lost her parents. And I would always be grateful to them for it," he said honestly, "but I am sure they didn't do it out of a sense of duty or that one day she would repay them. They did out of love for her," he said firmly, "and she did the same with you. She loved you and supported you unconditionally. She hid your faults and helped you when required," he said tightly and Palak looked at her sister, "she took care of your problems, your mistakes. It didn't matter the price she had to pay for it. Why? Because she loved you. She couldn't find it in her selfless, generous heart to let you be," he said loudly, "but what did you do? What did you reward her with? Mean words, meaner emotions and meanest actions," he said his voice booming in the now silent room, "what are you arrogant about? What are you so conceited about? You have done nothing in your life, achieved nothing, what are you so proud of?" he yelled and Palak bowed her head in shame. "You are the most selfish and the most self-absorbed person I have ever met," he said with distaste, "I don't even have a word in the dictionary to give you," he said angrily, "you have the audacity to come here and call names to your sister," he said his face contorting with tightly leashed emotions, "how dare you? Who gave you the right to take your sister for granted? Who gave you the right to question her personal life?" he thundered and Palak visibly flinched. "If you have any sense of decency left, leave," he ordered, "now," he stressed, "and before you go, I love Kanak," he said arrogantly, "so if you decide to insult her think of the consequences you might face," he said and paused, "because I won't be mindful of your sister's feelings every time," he warned, "and for the last time, we don't need your support nor your intervention. Get that in your head and drill it into your husband's," he said tersely, "now get out before I lose it completely," he roared.

Palak stood there just looking at the man. She was shaken to her bones. This encounter had told her one thing if she had even a little bit of self-preservation, she would steer clear of Aarav Singhania. Especially when he was this angry. She looked at Kanak and saw her shake her head probably at the sorry mess of affairs but she also saw tear drops on her cheeks. She was upset and Palak felt the pinch of it. She may not always think of others but she didn't want to hurt her sister intentionally. Though she had. And she knew it. And by doing that she had angered this man who had clearly taken an offence. She wondered how Kanak handled him? But maybe it wasn't her place to think. She should probably thank her stars that Aarav had such high regard for how Kanak felt for her because frankly she didn't know what would have happened otherwise. She knew she should apologize and make amends. But not right now. Something told her anything she said right now, even a 'sorry', would send Aarav over the threshold. He had asked her to leave them alone and she will. Maybe later. She walked shakily towards the door and Aarav stepped aside to let her pass. He didn't even look at her as she walked by. His tightly clenched jaw and one ticking nerve in his temple made Palak move faster.

She looked one last time at Kanak then mustering her courage said, "Good luck di, you will need it," and then quickly went out lest she invoked the wrath of the mighty Singhania.

Aarav hung his head the second he heard the door close firmly. He shouldn't have said so much. But he hadn't been able to contain himself. He didn't know what Kanak will say. He hadn't wanted to hurt her and he hoped he hadn't. He took in a deep breath and then looked at Kanak. She had tear drops on her cheeks and her chin quivered. He sighed. He just couldn't stand her looking like that. All upset and vulnerable. He opened his mouth to say something but she surprised him. She moved so fast he hadn't anticipated her move. She threw her arms around his waist and hugged him. He shook his head as he felt all his anger drain away. Nothing mattered. He held her close. And then she said something he knew he would never forget.

"I am changing your nickname," she sniffled, and he bent his head closer to catch her softly said words, "you are not Aarav Arrogant Singhania, you are Aarav Sweetheart Singhania and I am the luckiest person to have you," she whispered.

***********************

Thank you for taking out the time to read ...

Votes and Comments Appreciated !!!