One Step Closer

YUMI

I wake up with the scent of spices filling my apartment. Instinctively, I look at my kitchen since alam kong si Brianne yung nagluluto. I find him standing in the kitchen holding a bowl.

"How long was I out?" Tanong ko

He turned his eyes to the ceiling like he was mentally counting "Uhm... About 4 hours, maga-alas dos na yata eh. Halika na dito at mag-lunch na tayo"

He put the last dish he cooked on the table- tofu miso soup. There's also a grilled salmon, waldorf salad and amazu shoga on the side.

I guessed kahit sabihin kong wala akong ganang kumain, pipilitin niya ako.

"Ang dami mong niluto" still covered with the blanket he put on me while I was sleeping, I walk towards him.

"I called for backup, they'll be here soon" he smiled.

"Right" I mumble. Oo nga pala, he has to go back to his girl pero ayaw niya akong maiwan mag-isa kaya tinawagan niya yung barkada. I sat on a stool and pour water to a glass.

He smirked "I'll come and get you tomorrow morning" sabi niya, like he read my mind. I narrow my eyes at him.

"For what?" I ask before drinking

"Balik kana sa gang house" sabay lapag ng soup sa harap ko

I just sighed and diverted my gaze at the living room. The books and the flowers are still there reminding me of what happened.

It's all over.

The chapter of me and Jake as lovers has ended, time to move forward on the next page.

"Yumi" Brianne calls

"Hmm?" I look back at him

"Dapat bang pulutan nalang ang niluto ko at hindi comfort food?" he gave me a worried look

I flashed a weak smile "No, this is good. Sabi mo nga shikata ga nai, so don't worry I won't fall to depression again"

"Yumi" he again utters my name. I can hear the worry in his voice.

"Mmm yum, I like the soup" I began eating, ignoring him

"Haist, kung pwede ko lang bugbogin si Jacob eh" he sighed

*Weak laugh*

"Ikaw kasi, binilin sayo ni Dad na bantayan ako at 'wag hayaang lapitan ng mga lalaki pero ikaw pa tumulong kay Jake noon na ligawan ako. You're fault" I jokingly remind him, wanting to lighten the mood

It won't change anything by talking about it naman. I'm tired and I just want everything to be over. But I won't tell him that... yet. I know I'll be fine so there's no need to worry him

"Tsk. My fault. I thought he was the best guy for you, noon kasi, his family isn't complicated and is rich, and I know he is a good person. He's like a brother to me, that's why I trusted him to never hurt you. Kaso, parents would definitely find a way to make their children's life fvck up" he sighs after finishing his speech.

Tignan mo, I was joking pero sineryoso niya

"If only Dad would think just like you" I joke again while getting a serving of the salad

"What do you mean?" Nagkunot siya ng noo

I manage a weak smile and shake my head "Nothing, I just hope my parents would select my future husband the way you screened Jake before" I stick my fork into an apple slice

He again release a long sigh.

He already gets it, my betrothal is no secret to Brianne. Kaya siguro full support siya noon sa relationship namin ni Jake because he knows I might not feel or experience genuine romance with the man I will be forced to spend the rest of my life with.