"Interesting..." thought Anna as she went out into the garden. She found the girls outside chasing each other through the chicken enclosure.

"What are you doing in there?" she called.

The girls stopped the chase and turned to her. One of them, Sally, had a plump chicken in her arms. It wasn't struggling, in fact, it had resigned to its capture and was clucking softly. "We're playing coyote— seeing who's the better chicken catcher!" Sally explained.

"I'm not very good," said Jill.

"Well, you are smaller and younger; you will get better in time. It's only natural," Anna reassured her, then bent down and winked. "For now, it's probably best to let those chickens go."

Sally's arms unfurled, and the chicken slid-plopped down in an elegant touchdown with the ground.

"The real coyote is waiting," a voice announced, causing the three girls to let out small shouts. The children giggled as Anna looked around, trying to suppress her startle. Duke stepped out from behind a tree, a broad smile on his face.

"Sorry about that!" he said, his devious smirk indicating he was anything but sorry. He probably loved every moment of that.

"Ready for the stakeout?" His grin faded, his expression turning more serious. "We've got something ahead of us." He tipped his hat to her. Looping her arm in his, he jested, "My lady." She rolled her eyes at the notion. He was such a cowboy.

Was he showing off for her? There was no time to think about that now. There was work to be done, no time for distractions. She noted that his arm was much larger than hers, strong and well-defined. She hated the feelings that seemed to creep up and stir her, totally contrary to her otherwise focused and important thoughts.

My dang feelings need to get in line with the program. My brother needs me. But these cows need me right now, apparently.

As they walked, the clicking of his boots and the clucking of the chickens became symbols of farm life, filling her with a sense of purpose. We are on the ranch, this is great, I am living the life I dreamed of. Well, minus the missing brother, and the fact that it's much harder than I thought it would be. But she calmed again as the sweet smell of wet straw came, bringing her great satisfaction. Falling for someone is a distraction I don't need. Marriage, I don't need either. I'll not give myself away to the whims and control of any man.

They mounted their horses and rode into town, where Duke led her to the sheriff's office. They strode up the steps to the office, and he held the door open for her.

"Good lord. A woman in pants and boots? What is this, a joke?" a man with a large bushy beard topped with a broad mustache asked.

"Sheriff Jones," Duke greeted with a nod. "This is Anna, from White Gorge. She's the new ranch hand up at Belle's homestead."

"Belle always was a strange one," he murmured.

"We have come because we have some missing cattle and suspect there's been foul play up on the ridge. The fence was cut with tools, so it can't be an accident. Some cattle rustlers are stalking the town's outskirts, looking for weak spots to steal head of cattle."

"Oh my. Thanks for the update. What kind of numbers are we dealing with here?"

"I don't think there are too many of them, based on the number of cattle gone. And the fact that they struck at dusk, during a storm no less, means they are operating discreetly, avoiding detection. They're taking advantage of the difficulties in visibility, utilizing stealth, so probably not a big gang... We are planning a stakeout tonight."

"Well, sir. Sounds like you've got things under control, then," the sheriff leaned back in his chair.

"Sir, I want you to join us. We need more folks patrolling on the other sides of town. You should alert the other ranchers and..."