Chapter VI - Curse Womb Must Die

[July 2018]

The first-years were assigned a mission that involved a detention center. Gojo wasn't going to supervise this time, because he was taking care of a certain errand he couldn't simply neglect.

But the four were accompanied an instructor that would not only escort them to the detention center, but as well as provide the information necessary to tackle the curse (or curses) properly. And that person was the auxiliary manager, Kiyotaka Ijichi, who's job is dedicated to helping the sorcerers from the sidelines, in any way possible.

"Our window verified the curse womb three hours ago." Ijichi begins the explanation the second he and the first-years reach the premises of the detention center. "Only 90% were successfully evacuated, they made the call to seal off the center. Citizens within a 500-meter radius have been evacuated, as well."

"Ijichi-san, question." It's hardly been a minute, and Yuuji remains behind on his knowledge on the world of jujutsu sorcerery. "What's a "window" here?"

"A window is a member of Jujutsu High who can see curses." Ijichi clarifies. "They aren't sorcerers, though."

"Oh, okay." 

"Let's continue." Ijichi is quick to proceed in his thorough explanations. "Detainee Block 2. At present, 5 detainees remain there with the curse womb. If this curse womb is the type of metamorphoses, we predict it will become a special-grade cursed spirit."

'Special-grade...' Megumi, Nobara, and (Y/n) can understand why Ijichi had fought this situation serious.

"Hey, so..." But Yuuji doesn't. "I still don't really understand what "special-grade" means." His classmates look at him in agitation.

"Then allow me to explain it so even idiots can understand." Ijichi volunteers to provide Yuuji another quick vocabulary lesson. "First, there's grade 4. A wooden bat is enough for them. -- Grade 3; if you have a handful, you can rest easy. -- Grade 2; it'll be a close call with a shotgun. -- Grade 1; even a tank may be insufficient. -- Then there's special-grade; let's say you might be on even footing if you carpet bomb it with cluster bombs."

It all made sense to Yuuji. "That's real bad!"

"Normally a jujutsu sorcerer on par with the cursed spirit would take on the mission." Megumi brings up. "On a day like today, that would be Gojo-sensei."

"I-I see." Yuuji starts looking around, realizing that Gojo wasn't with them, unlike any other day. "So where is Gojo-sensei?"

"Away on business." (Y/n) responds.

"Huh?"

"He's the strongest; so of course he's got other responsibilities to do. We're not exactly his top priority." (Y/n) reiterates in an annoyed tone.

"Unfortunately, we're constantly short-handed in this business." Ijichi mentions. "You'll often have to undertake missions beyond your power." He pushes up his glasses before reinforcing the importance of this very mission. "The current case, however, is an abnormal one, and most urgent. Do not fight under any circumstances. If you encounter a special-grade, your options are to either run or die." Nobara, Yuuji, and (Y/n) are taken aback by this warning, each of them starting to get anxious about what's to come.

"Please just listen to your fears." Ijichi advises. "Do not forget that your mission here is strictly the verification and rescue of survivors."

"Excuse me!" The conversation is interrupted by someone that was at the detention center's gates, near where the group was; it was a middle-aged woman that was being prevented from stepping any closer into the detention center's entrance. "Excuse me, where's Tadashi?!" One can easily assume she was a mother, and the person that she was asking for, with the name of a boy, was one of the detainees at the detention center.