62 : Everything Will Be

Start from the beginning

"Course we can, why'd you ask?" The Doctor turned back to her, confused.

"It's like in those films, you step on a butterfly, you change the future of the human race."

"Tell you what, then, don't step on any butterflies." He replied, sceptically. "What have butterflies ever done to you?"

Martha followed on keenly. "What if, I dunno, what if I kill my grandfather?"

"Are you planning to?"

"No!"

"Well, then..." The Doctor trailed, confident in his reply.

"It's not Back To The Future." EJ rolled his eyes, and pulled the Doctor along with him as they skipped forwards. "I'm sure you'll be fine."

She seemed to pause for a moment before following on with confidence. There was glee in her voice this time. "This is London?"

"Think so," Said the Doctor as they walked. "Round about, em, ooh, 1599."

"1599?" EJ's ears pricked at the year. "That's when Much Ado About Nothing was written, and Hamlet."

"Very good." The Time Lord seemed surprised by his knowledge. "Got anything else?"

"Oliver Cromwell was born in April." He replied with a sly smile, the corners of his lips turning upwards, nose scrunching up.

"Oh, but, hold on, am I alright?" Martha pulled on the Doctor's jacket. "I'm not going to get carted off as a slave, am I?"

He stopped to look at her. "Why?"

"I'm not exactly white, in case you haven't noticed?" EJ sighed; he was lucky that he was a man, and that he was born with a privilege of skin colour, and he hated himself for it.

"I'm not even human. Walk about like you own the place, works for me." The Doctor offered, but his advice seemed to be rather jilted. "Besides, you'd be surprised... Elizabethan England, it's not so different from your time."

As two black women stepped in front of them, a faint smile crossed Martha's face. It was the little things that mattered. It showed that she wasn't alone in this world, that she was as safe as the others.

"Look over there, they've got recycling." He directed their gaze to a man shovelling straw from the ground into a cart. Then they were turned towards two men stood with their tankards on top of a barrel. "Water cooler moment."

"The Earth will be consumed by flame!"

"And, global warming." The Doctor didn't spend a moment longer focusing upon him. "Oh, yes, and entertainment, popular entertainment for the masses. If I'm right, we're just down the river by Southwark, right next to..."

There was a certain feeling which came over EJ whenever the Doctor took his hand, which sent electricity through his body. His head sometimes felt dizzy from the touch, and yet, he couldn't get enough of it. He was dragged around the streets, Martha following on as fast as she could. Then, when they came to a stop, EJ saw exactly what it was that the Doctor wanted to show them.

"Ah, yes!"

It was like birthday, Christmas, and Easter had all come at once as he froze, wide eyed. "... but that's..."

"The Globe Theatre!" The Doctor sounded proud. "Brand new, just opened! Though, strictly speaking, it's not a globe, it's a tetradecagon, fourteen sided, containing the man himself."

"Whoa, you don't mean...?" Martha only now seemed to twig on as the white, Tudor theatre came into view. "Is Shakespeare in there?"

"Oh, yes." He offered his arm for her to take. "Miss Smith, will you accompany me to the theatre?"