Chapter 9- A Volcanic Adventure

3rd POV (Volcanic Island)

Chris, Tails, Sonic, Knuckles, Lux, Shadow, and Rouge are on the Island. Tails and Chris are talking about flying the X-Tornado. Shadow and Lux look at each other.

"Hey." Lux greets

"Hey. You smell nice." Shadow compliments.

"Uh, thanks. I showered with a lavender body wash three times before taking a dip into the ocean." Lux joked, blushing. She knows that lavender is Shadow's favorite scent.

"Anyway, what are you and Rouge doing here?" Lux asks.

"We heard that the doctor was up to something, so we went to investigate. It seems that the doctor has planned a bigger scheme." Shadow explains.

"But I know I could fly the X-Tornado down into the crater." said Tails.

"It's too dangerous!" Chris points out.

"It's the only way to catch up with Eggman. I'm in." Sonic states.

"Rouge, what about you? You willing to come along?" Knuckles asks the white bat.

"Doesn't sound like I have a choice. If I stay behind, there won't be anybody left on the team to look after you." Rouge states.

"Ha. Very funny." Knuckles snarked.

"Are you two lovebird gonna come with us or are gonna continue your date?" Rouge asks Lux and Shadow teasingly.

"We're not dating!" Lux yells in embarrassment. Shadow rolls his eyes.

Later, Tails and Chris are seated in the X-Cyclone. Sonic, Knuckles, Lux, Shadow and Rouge stand on the wings.

"Let's go check out that volcano." said Tails as the X-Cyclone takes off and without converting to the X-Tornado, flies towards the crater of the volcano and slowly begins to descend it.

Soon the X-Cyclone land and exit the craft. Rouge and Shadow examines several rocks nearby.

"They've blocked up the tunnel after they drove through. You see?" Rouge tells the others.

"Hmph. That won't stop me!" Sonic says excitedly.

He starts burrowing through the rock with a spin dash. Several pieces of first fly towards Knuckles, Rouge, Shadow, and Lux. The tunnel starts to fall.

"Hey! If you keep on finding like that, you'll have us all buried alive!" Lux yells and Sonic stops.

"Sorry." Sonic apologized. Shadow investigates a tunnel different than the one Sonic created.

"There's another tunnel here, but it's pretty narrow." Shadow points out.

"Let's see where it goes." Sonic tells them as Rouge enters the tunnel. Followed by Sonic, Knuckles, Lux, and Shadow.

"What about us?" Chris asks Tails.

"We can look around in the X-Tornado." Tails replied as Chris nods.

Inside the volcanic tunnel, the five heroes walk in darkness. Rouge stubs her foot on a rock. Suddenly, the walls start to glow with many green soft lights.

"It's some kind of fluorescent moss." Knuckles points out.

"How'd you know that?" Rouge asks.

"Easy. When you're a treasure hunter like me, you've been everywhere, you've seen all kinds of--" Knuckles explains before Rouge interrupts him.

"Come on, Sonic!" said Rouge as she and Sonic walk pass Knuckles. Knuckles chase after them.

"Come on, Shadow." Lux tells the black hedgehog as they follow the others.