Chapter 1

When we were 9, everything seemed different. But when we are at the age of 25 everything becomes foggy. We lose sight of many things, and worst of all we lose sight of ourselves.
Souji Okita; what can I say about him...he is sarcastic, childish, evil, handsome, stupid, smart, perverted, and different. Souji wasn't like most men; he wasn't too serious but he wasn't too much of a child. You can say he was perfect but that would be an understatement. He wasn't smart, but he wasn't stupid but he was evil. He can read you like a book if you let your guard down and he will use it to his advantage to target you. But he was sweet, kind, funny, caring, and considerate in his own way and that was what made him so different from everyone else.
This is how our story began...
It started off when we were nine. Yes, when we were that young; Souji was brought in by this young lady known as Mitsu, his older sister. He had a nasty look on his face... you couldn't really tell if he was sad or angry but he was upset that he had to leave his sister.
As I followed Kondou-san, the owner of the dojo to the entrance of the dojo...I spotted him. He was taller than me as his olive green eyes bored into mine. I hid behind Kondou-san while still peaking at his figure.
Kondou: This is Aoi Miyamura-chan. She doesn't talk much but she will be showing you around and such. Aoi, this is Okita Souji-kun he is the new stay in student at the dojo.
I just came out from behind Kondou-san's leg and bowed to Souji as a greeting.
Kondou: Aoi, why don't we show Souji where he will be staying.
I just nodded in response and led him to the clean room within the dojo. I pushed the door opened and there was garbage everywhere. I stood in horror as I quickly ran inside the room and started cleaning it again.
Kondou: Aoi, what happened?
I didn't look at Kondou-san; instead I just continued to clean the room again. I heard snickers of the boys who came to the dojo daily. I just got up and went outside to get my wooden sword. I've had enough of them. I suppose none of them knew what I was going to do and just watched. I got myself ready to attack and I did it. But then I was stopped shortly after when they were all on the ground crutching in pain.
Kondou-san tried to take my sword away from me but I pulled it with all my strength while crying at the same time. Once he got it away from me I just ran away from everyone before they could talk to me. I didn't eat; I just sat there in my room in a corner hugging my knees.
I suppose they told Souji to check up on me because he knocked to check if I was alright. I wasn't embarrassed of what I did and how I acted in front of them. They got what they deserved and a lesson that should have been taught from the very beginning which is to never mess with a girl.
Souji: Why did you do that?
I didn't answer.
Souji: What were you trying to gain out of doing that?
I ignored him and took out my futon and my blankets.
Souji: Why don't you answer me?
I placed my futon and blankets close to where he is and sat on it. I told him to come over and he did. I told him in a soft whisper,
Me: I did it to gain myself back.
With that I slipped under my covers and turned myself away from him. He stepped out of the room and closed the door.
Morning came as I woke up before dawn. The birds were softly chirping as I awakened as if they were telling me to wake up. I got up and went to wash my face and my teeth. I walked to the kitchen and quickly made breakfast for the others. I hummed silently to myself as I made breakfast. Today was going to be a big day, Kondou-san told me that there will be even more people joining the dojo than before. I decided to make a big breakfast for everyone so they have a lot of energy throughout the day.
I decided to clean the floors and the tati mats as well. After I was done everything I swept the front of the dojo and all around it. I tended the garden and made it all pretty for the guests. By the time I was done, everyone started to wake up. I quickly went and washed my hands and face again to serve tea.
After placing food on everyone's tray I carefully carried it to the main room where we eat. After placing the last tray everyone started coming into the main room to eat.
Kondou: Wah! Look at all the food! Oh good morning Aoi! I bet you woke up early to make all this and cleaned the place.
I just nodded.
Kondou: Where's Souji? Aoi, would you go and see if Souji is awake yet?
I nodded and quickly exited the room. I walked to Souji's room and knocked first. No responses, so I slide open the door and I see him sleeping. I took his blanket from him and he just groaned. I shook him awake; once he was clearly awake I brought him a bucket of water so he can go and wash his face and teeth quickly. I walked back outside allowing him to change as I pour the water on the tended garden. I air dried the towel and walked back to check on Souji.
I knocked again.
Souji: Just a minute.
I waited and then suddenly the door opened. I led him all the way to the main room where everyone was waiting for Souji and I.
Kondou: Ah, Souji and Aoi come, come sit down for breakfast. I hope you like it Souji because Aoi is the best chef around! *laughs*
I just placed my hands together and started eating.
Souji: Eto, may I ask why Aoi-san doesn't talk?
I started choking at his question. I received a pat in the back by Kondou-san as the other members looked at me with sympathy as I was choking while being painfully slapped in the back by Kondou-san.
Kondou: Well, about that... it was back when Aoi was about 4 years old was when she first started learning the ways of the sword. Even though we tell her no, she always tends to get her way. But then she was bullied quite frequently because she is female so because of a certain incident she stopped talking.
Souji: Incident?
Kondou: It was one of the ring leaders who bullied her. She was severely injured. But look at her now, strong as ever and still healthy! *laughs*
I softly glared at Kondou-san as he slapped me really hard one last time on the back before he resumed eating.