Chapter 14

Bruce P.O.V

Too fast. Everything in the past couple minutes is passing by too fast. I was just with Ellie, chained to the hard floor by my paws and locked in a cage inside a cell where no one would ever track us. And now. . .now I'm on my way to freedom without the person that means everything to me.

Whining to myself, I go around a tree and duck under a low hanging branch that probably would have knocked me off my feet if I weren't paying attention.

The feeling of my paws hitting the hard forest ground awoke my inner wolf. I haven't been me since the day Ellie and I were captured.

It was a couple minutes into my escape is when I felt a vibration rush through my body. The sound of approaching paws pounding after me had me launching forward like a bullet.

They're close on my tail but I will not stop. Ellie and her unborn child mean too much to me. And the freedom of Ellie once I reach the Shadow Blood pack and get the packs ready for battle.

The woods was, for once, filled with noise as I ran and the enemy wolves gave chase.

I was so focused on not missing a step, which would cause me to fall, that I hadn't noticed the voice talking to me in my mind. I was just about to close the voice out - I sometimes talk to myself - until I recognized it.

I gasp as Ellie's voice flitted through my mind. 'Bruce,' I feel her hope through our barely there bond, 'I know you probably can't hear me right now, but I have to try. I want you to know how much I love you. Every single night I thank the ancestors and Helen for gifting me with the most precious gift. You.'

'I'm depending on you to overrun and outsmart the werewolves chasing after you. Don't give up, Bruce. You have a mate to care for. After I spoke to the ancestors they told me something that made me happier than I've been in one and a half months. Bruce, Mia's pregnant with your pups. You're going to have the family you've always wanted.' I hear her sob, causing a pain to erupt in my chest. 'So you need to realize you have to escape. If you don't. . .then your pups will grow up without a father. And you know how it feels and what it does to a child to not have a father in their lives.'

'Believe in yourself, Bruce! Because I do! I love you!'

I almost stopped short at the mention of pups. Blinking hard, I continue to weave up and under fallen trees like nothing. Well, as close as nothing can come to barely standing on my feet.

'What are you talking about, Ellie? Pups? What?' After a couple seconds I realized that it was pointless. I've reached too far. Our bond was gone.

Then her whole speech pushed itself to the front of all the other things. I feel a great sense of pride swell within me. Ellie believes in me. She believes that I will leave and get help.

Time stood still as my mind goes back to what I first asked her. Holly. Shit.

I'm going to be a father, I thought, distracted.

Look where you're going! My consciousness scolded me at just the right moment.

I yelp and narrowly avoided a tree. I stumble but quickly catch myself and keep up my fast pace. Dammit, I have to stay focused! My little ones life is at stake here. But that's not all. She's pregnant. That changes everything.

But right now I have to focus on getting out of these dark woods. Since it's night the forest would have been pitched black if it weren't for my advanced eyesight.