Chapter 9

Victoria wiped her bloody nose with her sleeve. "Listen," she began, "you can insult the descendant all you want, but we do not insult the vampire. Got it, freak of nature?" Benjamin walked to Jason. He poked Jason's shoulder. "This is normal, by the way." Jason nodded slowly, he was confused. "Alright." Alexander laughed. "She's literally talking to a Dust Creature!"

"Like it's a person!" Jason chuckled. Benjamin sighed. "It's normal," he said. "Can it even understand her?" Alexander asked. "Yeah, it can." Alexander coughed. "Ew! Dust!" Alexander ran back to one of the giant stalagmites. All Jason and Benjamin heard was Alexander throwing up and Victoria talking to a Dust Creature.

It screeched. Victoria rolled her eyes. "You land-dweller, you shan't not defeat me!" Benjamin said, his voice raspy. "What the-"

"Well, I am literally Victoria Knolas. Try me," Victoria pointed her dagger at the grey being. The Dust Creature screeched louder than it faded into a small, shy scream. "I understand," she said, "but we simply weren't threats. Losing family is a harsh thing, but those others were not your family." The Dust Creature crouched down, its legs, wings (which were attached to its arms), and neck leaning towards the ground.

"Hey, guys, I'm back!" Alexander said, as he ran towards Jason and Benjamin. "Wha- What is Victoria doing?"

...

"Do you normally just carry a saddle with you?" Alexander asked, hand on the Dust Creature's side. Victoria nodded. "Yes," she sat on a saddle which she positioned onto the Dust Creature's back. "Who would like to name him?" Alexander gasped. "Me! Me! ME." Benjamin squealed. "Alright. What would you want to name him?" Victoria asked. "Equus!!"

"Wonderful."

"I want to choose his middle name!" Jason smiled. "Marquis!" Jason yelled. "It is alright. Not as good as the vampire's name." Jason gasped dramatically. "I am hurt!" Alexander flicked Jason, "shut up, Jay!" Victoria chuckled. "Alright, alright," she cleared her throat, "Equus, kick down my door."

"I don't think that's a good-" The Dust Creature turned around. "-idea." It laid its hands on the ground and used its hind legs to kick down the double doors. "Good job, Equus this is why you're my favourite," Victoria said excitedly. "I- You have favourites?!" Benjamin yelled. "Yes, I do." Victoria answered. "Wow, my lady. Just, wow." Benjamin rolled his eyes. Victoria sighed. Alexander laughed, almost falling over. Actually, scratch that, he did fall over. On his face. "Ow..." Benjamin grabbed Alexander's arm and pulled him up. Benjamin dragged Alexander inside.

...

Now, Helik's halo rested on the other side of the world. Victoria kneeled beside the Shivering Knight of Knolas. She laughed maniacally. Lightning struck outside, illuminating her face and the machine. Victoria lifted her arms just above her head. The Dust Blood from the vials slithered out of the said vials like a snake of mist. The black liquid weaved its way into the different pipes, screws, and gears of the machine.

The machine roared to life, literally. The creaking of the metal was deafening. The machine seemed to split into pieces. It stood. Its metal looked like a mix of old gold and dark bronze. Something on the left end of it opened, like a mouth with razor sharp teeth. The metal monster reared. Victoria sighed. "You were the legacy of my mother, now the title shall be passed onto me."

"As much as I like Victoria, are we sure she's not insane?" Alexander whispered. Benjamin groaned. "Deal with-" The ground shook. The machine's legs stuck into the wooden floor, cracks followed the shadows of the lightning outside. Benjamin looked at Jason. Jason nodded. "Wait," Victoria began, her voice loud enough to be heard, "it's fine. The storm and surroundings shall be calm."

Alexander shook his head. "I'm sorry but I- I don't trust you on this." Victoria dropped one of the vials in her hand. "...What?" She asked. The machine stopped moving, the lightning stopped striking yet, the air, the air was still thick with tension. "I am trustworthy, demigod, I have been trusted by every single being I have ever come across, yet thee doubts my ability? You are fragile, unlike me, you are all fragile and need protection. I may not provide it, but I can if I need to."

Alexander held his breath. He opened his mouth to speak but quickly closed it. He had nothing else to say. Victoria exhaled. She took a deep breath. Then she lifted up her goggles. "I apologise, demigod. I also apologise to all of you....Benjamin, Jason, and Alexander."

...

"Tomorrow, you must leave. Leave this manor, leave this town-"

"We need answers!" Jason yelled. "We need to know what in the god's world that- that thing is! We need to know what it's used for! We need to know about Knolas!"

"We need to know who Victoria really is," said Alexander. Jason's eyes widened, so did Benjamin's. "Who my lady is doesn't matter," Benjamin whispered. "Yes, yes, it does." Alexander narrowed his eyes. "I want answers."