Chapter 1

Published: Wednesday; 9/23/2015; 12:52pm; Unedited

I walked along the halls of my school, ignoring the whispers and many looks I received from the more popular groups while the others didn't care.

They whispered about my hair and it's strange color and how cold my eyes look. I thought it was funny when they say my eyes are cold, since they're an icy blue color, nearly white like my hair.

I wasn't exactly in a normal school, actually, it was a school for 'Gifted' kids, such as performing arts and academics, the lots. I excelled in both academics and a few performing arts, but I put little effort in it (yet somehow manage to still have the highest grades; I was in the third, and last, year of high school despite only being fourteen) and focused more on the love of my life.

Games. Virtual Reality MMOs. They were my true life and living, since I never feel alive until I'm in one.

Of course, it got worse once I became a Beta Tester for one of the most famous games to come out: Sword Art Online, the unique game with no magic and purely skill and level. Today was the day I would finally be able to return to it, November 6, year 2022.

Oh, the excitement.

"Hey, loser," I paused, keeping a straight face despite my distaste for someone ruining my way home. It was calling for me, my Nervegear, my baby. I turned to look at whoever called for me. I knew it was me since they only called me 'loser'. "I need you  to do my homework for me, I'm going to play the new game, SAO, tonight and I can't be bothered to do it while I'm busy.

He was a jerk, really, he had been picking on me since he found out I was actually younger than him and always beat his test average and scores. He was sixteen, a junior, and a backstabber.

But that's not something I like to think about.

I smirked at him, "You do realize that this school is for excelled minds and talents, right? What's the point of being here if you can't even keep up with the school work? Has your brain finally shrunk, Kaito? Maybe you should look into a different school..." I sent him a fake pity and worried look. A few chuckles and giggles errupted from the non-popular groups while the few around gasped or withheld their amusement. Though the girls were the ones that were more pissed.

Though my favorite reaction was probably Kaito's. His faces was red with anger, or embarrassment, maybe even both.

I rolled my eyes, "Do it yourself before you play."

I turned heel and continued my way down the hall and made my way out of the school and to my house which was only a block away. I pull out my phone and see I have a few messages. One is from my older brother, who studies at a famous university a few towns away, saying he's coming home for a week and should be arriving around midnight. A text from both my parents telling me about my brother coming home and that they won't be home until tomorrow. My parents were doctors, my father being the head of the hospital, so we were nice in money, and the brains ran through the family, I suppose.

'Midnight, huh?' I smiled as I arrived at my house, checking the mail and unlocking the front door. 'That's more than enough time, but...' I slipped my shoes off and set my bag down. I walked over to the kitchen while pressing in the familiar numbers before pressing my phone to my ear. I heard the ringing as I opened the fridge, taking out my red bean buns and sticking them in the microwave for a bit.

"Hello, this is Kisara speaking," was the answer I got. I shook my head, he obviously didn't check the caller ID.

"Hey, nii-chan," I responded, watching my red bean buns rotate through the see-thru door on the microwave, "so you're coming home."

He gasped, "Oh my cute, little sister is calling!" I heard people talking the background, asking about me. Kisara hushed them before coming back to me, his voice echoing, "Yeah, I was just telling my friends about that."

"Ah, well, I'll be playing a game. You remember where the spare key is?"

I heard a squeal, "She sounds adorable! When can I meet her?!"

"Never," I scowled, "Anyways, I'm off to my reality. See you later, nii-chan."

"Awe, wh--" I hung up, got my buns, stuffed my face and drank some milk before going to my room upstairs and closing the door.

I looked at the time and gasped, only a few minutes left!

I scrambled, taking my hair out of the hair ties, changing into some comfortable shorts and a shirt before grabbing my nerve gear and putting it on. Making sure everything was correct: Nervegear plugged, comfy clothes, on bed, one minute until time.

I lay back and got comfy, watching the time until it changed. I smirked, excitement rushing through me once again, "Link Start!"

A flurry of different colors passed my vision of white and was met with a login screen, and did so accordingly. My character from the beta test was saved so I used it, and waited.

Welcome to Sword Art Online!

I sighed in content, 'It's good to be back.'

Blue covered around me until disappearing and I was met with the sight of players popping up, others talking, but most importantly the Town of Beginnings. I looked around curiously, meeting the eyes of a girl with light blue hair that reached her shoulders, and emerald eyes that seemed to look at me in awe. I looked away and continued looking around before my eyes landed on a stall with weapons. I swiped my hand and looked through the menu, looked at the stats of my current dagger and shield, frowning.

They were weak.

I walked over to the NPC merchant and sold them immediately, adding to the 100 col I already had. I looked at the different daggers and swords there was, looking at the stats. Eventually I settled on one that would probably last me at least until level ten and used some extra money I had for armor. Buy, equip, sell old armor or clothes. That's how the process went for that.

In thirty minutes, I was equipped with armor and a long dagger that would last me quite a few levels.

I looked at my map, making sure not to go the wrong way, and began making my way to the field outside of the town, accepting simple quests from NPCs along the way.

Time to start my mission: to be the first to reach the Hundredth Floor of Aincrad!

~*~*~*~*~

Should I continue?