Stars shimmered.

Astarion was at a save distance, hiding between the broken pillars of the rotunda that was build at the edge of the cliff.

His head moved as he looked around.

You took two quick steps towards him.

Cazador appeared. Shadows jumped up to block his attack. His hands shattered them to pieces and again he was gone.

Your wounds started to close. Strength returned to your hands. Although that did not matter if he kept destroying your most precious line of defence.

The dark raged inside your head, begged, cried.

Your eyes returned to Astarion.

"Weak.", it suddenly sounded from behind.

Your head snapped around. Hands raised you went for his throat, all of your reminding shadows threatened to pierce his flesh and tear it apart.

Just one hit. That was all you needed to end this.

Your faces met. Gaze locked.

And suddenly he smiled.

Why?

Your eyes tore wide open with surprise. He didn't look at you. He looked past your shoulder.

Straight at Astarion.

His hands pulled back the bowstring. Muscles tensed, fingers held tightly onto the end of the arrow. They trembled.

A breath squeezed its way through your lips.

Just one hit.

Victory was so close.

And then it was so far again.

Without warning the first arrow pierced your shoulder. Struck by surprise you lost your footing, your head turned to look back at Astarion.

Tears streamed down his face as Cazador made him put another arrow on the bowstring. It cut through your trachea this time.

Air got sucked from your lungs and again there was this unbearable pain.

"Forgive me!", he cried out as he failed to right against the influence that his master had on his body. "Please, forgive me!"

An arrow dug into the socket of your eye.

And then there was nothing anymore. Struck by a sudden force you came to a halt right in front of Cazador's face. That smug, satisfied face.

Blood poured from your lips as you parted them to catch a breath. But there was no recover, no power anymore to drain.

His hand was stuck in your chest, fingers wrapped around that slowly beating heart of yours.

"Where do you want to lay?", Cazador asked.

It was one last gesture of affection from a man who was about to purge all and everything from himself except the worst.

Your eyes grew heavy already. A choking breath got stuck in your throat.

"R-Roses...", you managed to gasp.

With a nod, he lifted your body off the ground, his hand still on your heart and carried you over to the rotunda.

Astarion had collapsed. Tears reddened his eyes while screams and cries made his voice go hoarse.

Cold stone nestled against your back as Cazador placed you on the marble. In one swift movement he tore your heart out. Blood splattered everywhere.

"M-my... darling...", waves of red poured from your mouth as Astarion's face floated in the dark. "Don't... cry for... me..."

"Platinum!", screaming in agony he threw himself on you.

He was warm.

You felt at ease.

"(Y/N)...", you whispered with the softest smile. "I... was born... (Y/N)..."

The salt of his tears wetted your lips as he bend over you to steal one last, icy cold kiss. Your blood smothered all over his mouth.

Below, the white of the roses started to wither. Their blossoms turned ashy, cracked and fell apart. All that was left was a grove of ashes and burned bridges.

Astarion cried. He cried his heart out, dug his nails into your chest and pleaded with all the gods and all the demons.

But nothing could bring you back.

"It's time.", Cazador grabbed him by the wrist. "Your work isn't done."

"Off me!", his voice was so full of rage as Astarion pushed his master off.

Cazador let out a bitter hiss.

"Oh, that attitude will die soon enough."

His eyes were dark, so full of all the suffering and all the hate he had harboured behind gates of fear for all this time.

No more tears flowed.

"Oh, don't worry, Cazador.", his voice was suddenly cold and smooth while a smile of hatred grew on his lips. "Not everything will die with him. I'll make sure of that. Darling."