[019] bad feeling.

CHAPTER NINETEEN

bad feeling.

"MAX, MAX. SERIOUSLY." Steve spoke sternly, following behind the girl persistently walking down the driveway. "Seriously, I'm not joking, okay. I'm not driving you anywhere." He insisted.

"Steve, if you think I'm going to spend what is likely the last day of my life in the armpit that is Mike Wheeler's basement, you're out of your mind." Max ranted. "So either take me where I need to go, or you're going to have to tie me down, which is technically kidnapping of a minor. And if I live to see another day, Steve, I swear to God, I will prosecute." She continued, trying to open the back door of the eldest boys car which she quickly found to be locked. "Open the door."

"Uh, no."

"I know a good lawyer." As the proceeded to have what appeared to be a staring competition, Lucas, Dustin, and Jennifer watched on in silence.

"Steve, if you don't drive her then I will. Which would you prefer." Jennifer finally spoke up, just wanting to support Max as best as she could without speaking the god-forsaken words of 'you'll be okay'. 

Steve looked between the two girls for a moment before scoffing lightly. "Henderson, that super walkie of yours better reach Pennhurst." He sighed as he pulled his keys out of his pocket. 

The car was silent as they drove to Max's house, the younger kids sitting in the back whilst Steve and Jennifer sat in the front, music playing quietly over the radio. "Alright, this better be fast, Mayfield." Steve spoke as he put the car in park.

"Twenty seconds." She said as she got out the car, slamming the door shut leaving just Lucas and Dustin in the back.

Jennifer watched the girl walk inside, her heart rate increasing slightly as she went out of view. The girl knew she couldn't keep eyes on max twenty-four-seven, but she'd do the best she could; Steve sent her a quick look of concern which she either ignored or didn't notice. "That thing's got batteries in it, right?" Steve questioned Dustin, gesturing to the larger radio as he turned to look at the two boys in the back. 

"I'm not even answering that question." Dustin sighed out, slightly shaking his head. "Yes, it has batteries." He said irritated, feeling the annoyed look Steve gave him.