[018] fail-safe.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

fail-safe.

STEVE PACED BACK AND FORTH IN THE WHEELER'S BASEMENT AS HE READ AN ARTICLE ABOUT VICTOR CREEL, TRYING TO MAKE SENSE OF IT. "Okay, be honest. Uh... you guys understand any of this?" He questioned Jennifer, Dustin, and Lucas who were also ready articles about the man.

"No." Lucas replied.

"Yeah, I mean..." Jennifer began, though, quickly began stammering. "...well, he, uh... yeah, no, I don't get it." She admitted, running a hand through her hair with a sigh.

"Pretty straightforward." Dustin said, voicing his opinion.

"Oh, straightforward, really?"

"What's confusing to you?" The young boy questioned Steve. "So far, everyone Vecna has cursed has died, except for this old Victor Creel dude Nancy found. He's the only known survivor. If anyone knows how to beat this curse, it's him."

"That's assuming he was cursed, which we don't even know."

"Plus, what if whatever he did to get... un-cursed... was what got him locked up?" Jennifer added, Steve pointing at her in agreement.

"How can Vecna have existed in the fifties? It doesn't make sense." Steve spoke to himself.

"Far as we know, Eleven didn't create the Upside Down. She opened a gate to it. The Upside Down has probably been around for thousands of years. Millions. I wouldn't be surprised if it predated the dinosaurs." Dustin ranted.

As the two boys bickered back and forth, Jennifer found herself zoning out; her ears ringing, her fingers subconsciously picking at her nails as she bit softly on her bottom lip. "Jen?" Lucas' voice came through, bringing the girl out of her daze. Jennifer hummed, acknowledging the boy, taking a few seconds before actually looking at him. "You okay?" He questioned quietly, not wanting to disrupt Steve and Dustin. The girl simply nodded, giving Lucas a reassuring smile before looking back at the article that sat resting on her lap. 

"Any idea what she's writing?" Dustin questioned after the four had gone quiet for a moment, his eyes focused on Max who sat at a desk against the far wall. "Did she sleep?" The boy added, seeing as no one had answered his first question. 

"I mean, would you?" Lucas countered, the other boy staying quiet, seeing his point. The four were startled by the basement door opening, followed by footsteps descending down the creaky staircase; Max stayed where she was, turning her head slightly to see Nancy and Robin standing in front of the others before turning back to whatever it was she had been so focused on. 

__________

"SO WE CALLED PENNHURST ASYLUM, TOLD THEM WE'D LIKE TO SPEAK WITH VICTOR CREEL FOR A THESIS WE'RE CO-WRITING ON PARANOID SCHIZOPHRENICS-" Nancy attempted to explain whilst Jennifer, Steve, Dustin, and Lucas read over 'Ruth' and 'Rose's' resume's.