Twenty-Eight: We'll Be Okay

Start from the beginning

“Hmmm, before I say anything, let me ask you one question.” Kauthar says.

“Okay.”

“How did you feel when you saw him?”

I frown. Can I even describe it? “I don’t even know. The first time, I think it was surprise and fear.”

“And the recent time?”

I sigh, recalling the day, his face, then Uyoon’s. “Like...” I know it now, but I don’t want to say it. It’ll make me look like the bad person. I sigh again. “I just felt like I lost something.”

“Something that you’re missing, right?”

“Haba, Kauthar. I’m married fa. How can I be missing someone else?”

“No, Meena. I know. But we’re not here to judge how you feel, just to identify it. Besides, you met Badr very recently, and you dated Nur for a while. So of course, you can't just forget about him like that. It won't be that easy.”

“So now you’re saying that it’s okay to miss him, as a married woman?” I look around, and even though it’s just me and the hot sun behind our building roof, I still lower my voice. “Someone that is even getting married soon.”

“It’s normal, honestly.”

“But it's not right.”

“Yes, so what do you think is the solution?”

I look down at my red shoes. “To forget about him, definitely.” Is that even possible, especially now that I know his wife.

“Okay, how?”

I sigh. “I don’t-”

“Sister Amina.” A female voice calls from behind me.

“Sister Mardiyya, what's up?”

She smiles, “It’s you I should be asking na. Love nwantiti.”

Oh. I laugh. I want to tell her that it’s not what she thinks. But then, why would she even assume so in the first place? I could be talking to anybody. Maybe she just wants me to tell her who it is. “Na you know.”

She walks past me. “I no know anything o. Singlet like me.”

I shake my head and say, “Babe, sorry, that was my colleague.”

A car starts. “No p, we’re also on our way out. Maybe we’ll talk later.”

I nod. “Alright na. Greet their Barakah for me.”

“Yes ma, and don’t forget what we talked about. What you feel is absolutely normal.”

I nod. Maybe she’s right. Since I didn't think about him till our meeting, then it surely won't last. And I’m sure he has forgotten about me too. That’s why he’s moving on, like me. “Yes ma, thank you ma.”

Kauthar laughs, “Okay ma. Talk to you lerra. Bye.”

By 04:00 P.M., we’re done with work and ready to head home. As aunty Iftar and I are strolling out of the building, we see Badr seated with the gateman.

Seeing us, he comes to hug me, then greets aunty Iftar, all smiles and filled with an energy I haven’t seen in a while.

“Wawu, did you get accidental alert or something?” I say, smiling.

“Nope,” he taps my nose. “But I did get us an intentional reservation at a fancy restaurant.”

“Wow.” I say, then I turn to aunty Iftar to back me up.