𝟗-𝟓 ⁶

𝐈𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢 "𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢" 𝐋𝐞𝐰𝐢𝐬                        📍𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐠𝐨, 𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐨𝐢𝐬                                                      𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟖, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

  𝐈𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢 "𝐦𝐚𝐧𝐢" 𝐋𝐞𝐰𝐢𝐬
📍𝐂𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐚𝐠𝐨, 𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐨𝐢𝐬
𝐒𝐞𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟖, 𝟐𝟎𝟐𝟑

𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐲𝐢𝐧𝐠..
ᵍˡⁱᵐᵖˢᵉ ᵒᶠ ᵘˢ, ʲᵒʲⁱ

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐏𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍

𝐒𝐈𝐍𝐂𝐄 some time had passed since the baby project began, it'd only make sense that there would be an inspection day. Which was, in other words, just a progress report. Imani kissed her teeth as she read the INSPECTION DAY email from her teacher that appeared at the top of her notifications. I really should take this damn app off my phone, she thought before she slammed the phone on the bed beside her, already starting off the day bad.

   She closed her eyes for a brief minute and sighing exaggeratedly, rolling out of bed to get ready for the day.

   "There's no way this damn robot should be this heavy bruh" Mani grumbled to herself, and readjusted the baby carrier for the millionth time. The brown skinned girl lugged the baby down the monochrome halls, dragging her feet to avoid going to Mr. Mariano's class. Turning a corner into a narrow hallway, she spotted a familiar head of fluffy brown curls. The tanned boy had his head stuffed in his phone, not paying attention to where he was walking. Imani payed him no mind and continued walking as if she hadn't even seen him.

   Coincidentally, Maj had decided to look up and check his surroundings, his eyes landing on Mani clearly struggling to carry all of her things. Imani, not realizing the new found eyes on her, readjusted her belongings once more and sped up her pace upon hearing the warning bell. The girl jolted in surprise after feeling someone lightly tug at her backpack. She turned her head to see Samaj peering down at her with raised eyebrows from her struggling stature. "You could've just called my name.. that tapping shit annoying." Imani said, her eyes tracing all over his face. Samaj laughed, a smile breaking through making his dimples pop.

   "You good mama? You look like you're struggling."

   Imani simply hummed before giving him one last look and walking off. But before she could get far, she felt the weight of the baby carrier being lifted off her arm. Imani let out a quiet sigh of relief as she silently thanked him. Samaj fell in step with her now holding their robot child and a few other items he grabbed off her. He stuck with her the whole walk to their shared class and the silence shared between them was comfortable.

   Mr. Mariano walked around the room stopping at each group to inspect their child. Waiting until the teacher was out of earshot Imani called out Samaj's name to get his attention. "You still got our packet?" It seemed as if wave of realization hit the boy and his eyes widened. "Uhh I think.." Maj awkwardly scratched the back of his head. Mani watched as he searched throughout his messy backpack that lacked any organization. Papers from all classes were slightly crumbled and jumbled together, making Imani mentally face palm at the sight.

   She wouldn't have been surprised to find out he was failing a few classes, from all the papers that could've went missing in that black hole. Taking her eyes off Samaj she glanced around the room to see where Mr. Mariano was. Imani's heart skipped a beat once she saw that he was now one table away from them. Imani frantically looked back over to Maj, who still hadn't found their care packet, and started to get on him. "Samaj. I'm not 'bouta keep playing with you.." Imani threatened in a hushed tone only to receive the sound of Maj kissing his teeth.

   Digging all the way to the bottom of his bag he pulled out the packet. It was pretty crumpled up but she decided to just appreciate the small blessings. "See you hot over nothing." Mr. Mariano finally made his way over to their area. Samaj handed over their packet, and gently placed Manman on the desk.

   Mr. Mariano read through their packet throughly before picking up the robotic child and to inspect it. He gave them a bit of feedback but overall graded them a 95% for first inspection. As soon as he moved on to another group, Imani peaked behind her to see how Connie was holding up. He seemed to be content since he was partnered up with one of the more laidback girls in the class.

   Hearing the sound of harsh erasing, Imani's eyes landed back to the boy next to her in question. Glancing down at the paper he was working on, she saw that it was a chem assessment, and it seemed like he was definitely struggling. Pretending like she didn't notice him struggling, Imani started to rest her eyelids until the class came to an end.

   Samaj eventually let out an aggravated groan "Maniii..." He dragged slowly moving his eyes towards her with a sly smile. Her eyes opened and cut over to him, feigning annoyance. She changed her position in her chair and scooted closer to get a better look at the question. Aint no way this nigga passing any of his class, she thought as she read over his answers with furrowed brows.

   "Maj what the hell..?" She trailed off with genuine concern laced in her voice. "Aight now it ain't that bad. You know I don't comprehend shit good." Samaj replied with as he slouched back in his chair. Imani rolled her eyes, already catching onto his lie. "Maybe if you opened them big ass ears and closed that big ass mouth you could get shit done." Being too lazy to explain how to get the correct answer, Mani pulled the paper closer to her, circled what she knew was right, and pushed the paper back over to him.

   Samaj smiled wide when he saw what she did and subtly slid the paper back over to her, nonverbally asking her to do the rest. She just simply accepted defeat and began filling out the paper whilst the curly haired boy looked over her shoulder with a content grin. Helping Maj with his work brought back old memories, making Imani feel weird inside. And Samaj wasn't making her feel any better with his deep dimples and starry eyes. She briefly looked over her shoulder to see Maj already looking at her.

   "Stop looking at me, you making me feel bad."
Samaj stated before swiping his paper back from her and attempting to complete the rest. Imani then became the one to peer over his shoulder and started to point out little mistakes he made, but not without adding little snide comments here and there. Samaj listened attentively and retaliated back to her comments with to an indescribable look in his eye.

   As the class collectively finished their inspections students began doing their own thing as the teacher graded at his desk, not caring what the teens did. Deja vu hit as the sound of Samaj and Imani slightly overpowered the sea of conversation from everyone else.

Things were starting to feel a little too familiar.

-
Can u tell idk nothing abt baby projects LMFAO also is it weird that we switch between Maj and samaj/ mani and Imani or is it okay. If it IS weird, what should they be addressed as in narration?

I'm abt to put inconsistent updated in the bio bc we frl only give yall updated when I feel EXTRA inspired.

Honestly cant wait for their relationship to jumpstart like we got sm planned but drop some scenarios u wanna see or any idea u have bc I'd love to incorporate that into the book!!

But Tysm for the love guys we reallyyyy appreciate your votes views and comments <333

-Storyfiles