LSAT Exams

It's time for us to prepare for our LSAT exams to find out what school we can get in to. My main priority is Yale, but if that doesn't work out I'm also looking at Brown. I honestly don't know what I want to do after college, but I'll figure it out while I'm there. The LSATs are a very stressful test; I haven't been this stressed out about a test in years. I've been preparing for it my whole life, but no matter how much I've studied, I still don't feel totally ready for it. The big test is two weeks away so we've all been getting together every day after school for study sessions. I've already sent in my college applications to both Yale and Brown. I still need to complete my college essay, but I have no idea what I'm going to write. Maybe the guidance counselor can help me figure that out. The next morning at school, I head straight to the counselor's office. When I ask her about the essay, she tells me that I should write my life story; how I got here and how hard I worked to get where I am today. She thinks that the admissions office would find it inspirational and it would really show the potential I have to grow. "You have excellent grades and you're excelling in all of your extracurricular activities. You shouldn't have a problem getting into Yale, even with the few bumps in the road it shouldn't be a problem. You should also see about getting a letter of recommendation from your teachers. I can also write one up for you." "Veronica Henderson offered to write me a letter," I tell her. "That would be a big advantage. Back to your essay, don't tell them what they want to hear. Sometimes that can come across as fake. Give them the hard, cold truth. That's the best way to get their attention and you have the best story to tell." "Thank you. I'll get to work on it right away." I get up to leave and she says, "Mila, I believe in you and I don't have a doubt in my mind that you will get an early acceptance to Yale." "Thank you. I need that confidence right now." "I know you will do great things." As im sitting in class trying to pay attention to the lecture, my mind keeps circling back to what I want to do with my life. I'm really starting to think that I want to get into psychology. I would love to help kids that have experienced similar things that I've been through. I want to help people, show them that they can do better in life and not become failures. Oh my God, I can't believe I just decided what my major is going to be. I cant wait to tell Jace. I find myself wondering what Jace wants to do with his life. We've only ever talked about us both wanting to go to Yale. I send him a text and ask him to come over after school so we can talk. He asks if everything is okay and I reassure him that we are not breaking up. "I just want to talk to you, dork," I text him. He sends me a smiley face and says he will be there. After school, Jace meets me at my house. We get comfortable in the living room and I begin with, "Well, I had a really great meeting with the counselor today. We talked about everything that I need to do to get my early acceptance into Yale and I also finally decided what I wanted to major in." "That's great, Mila! What do you want to major in?" "Psychology. What do you think about that?" "I think that's a great idea. You would be perfect for that. I support your decision and I'll help you in any way that I can." "Thank you, Jace. That means a lot. So I know we never really talked about this before, but do you know what you want to major in?" "Oh yeah, I decided on it not too long ago. I'm going to major in medicine." "So you want to be a doctor?" "No, I want to be a surgeon." "Wow Jace, that's amazing! That's a lot of schooling, but I know you can do it and I will support you as well." "Well look at us, getting our futures all figured out. Hey, there's something I wanted to ask you too." "Ask away." "Well, if we both get into Yale, what do you think about getting our own place instead of living in the dorm?" "Really? You want to live with me?" "Of course I do. We would have our own privacy, our own bathrooms, and no loud roommates." "You do have a point. Yeah, if we both get into Yale I would be thrilled to find a place with you. As long as it's near campus." "Of course. We'll look for a place close to campus." I squeal and say, "I can't wait to go to college with you." "It will be the best four years of my life." "Until your four years are up at Yale and you need to finish up the remainder of your schooling somewhere else." "What if I have to leave New York to do that?" I think about it for a minute and say, "Then I will go with you. I can get a job anywhere." "Are you serious?" "Of course, babe. I want to be with you so I will go with you." He kisses me and says, "I love you so much. So now all we have to do is get through the test and write our essays. No pressure or anything." "Yeah, no pressure at all! Speaking of, I should probably get started on my essay." "Are you kicking me out?" "No, but you can't distract me while I work on it." "I promise not to distract you because I'll work on mine too." We spend the next few hours on our laptops, working on our essays together. We both finish and email them off to Yale. "Well, that's it. Good luck to us both. I hope our essays inspire them," I say. "I'm sure they will," says Jace. I ask him if he's hungry and we decide to go to the sushi bar. We talk more about our future and I tell him how nervous I am and how Brown is my back up school. "Don't be nervous until you have a reason to be nervous," he says. "Good point," I tell him. We finish our dinner and go back home. "I guess it's time for me to head to my house. My parents are back and I haven't seen them in a while," Jace says. "Well you'd better get home," I tell him. He gives me a kiss goodnight and says he'll see me in the morning. I go straight to bed and for once I don't have any problem falling asleep. I wake up the next morning feeling refreshed. I don't know why but I feel great. LSATs are coming up and I need to spend every moment I can studying for it. I'm aiming to get 170 on my test. I need to get at least 165 or higher for Yale. That's all I can think about right now. I find my father downstairs and ask if I can stay home from school today to study. "Are you up to date on all of your classes?" "Yes, I am. I'll even ask Brandi to bring me today's assignments so I won't miss anything." He tells me that I can stay home, so I grab a protein bar along with a huge cup of coffee. I go back up to my room and surround myself with practice tests and textbooks. I turn my phone to vibrate so I won't have any distractions. After about six hours of reading and studying, I finally take a break and check my phone. Jace has texted and called me so many times. I completely forgot to tell him that I was staying home today. I call him back and he answers right away. "Babe, where the hell are you? I've been worried." "I'm so sorry! I took today off to study. My goal is to get 165 or higher on the test." "Babe, calm down, you got this. I'll come over after school and I'll bring you your assignments and we can study together. Go ahead and take a break and I'll see you in a few hours. Actually, how about I bring everyone and we can have another study session like the other night?" I tell him that sounds great and that I'll see him in a few hours. I push my books aside and lay my head down. I'll just take a nap until everyone gets here.