careful whispers

ᴛʀɪɢɢᴇʀ ᴡᴀʀɴɪɴɢꜱ ɪɴ ᴏᴘᴇɴɪɴɢ ᴀᴜᴛʜᴏʀ'ꜱ ɴᴏᴛᴇ

:]

"two customers in the shop at once? call the fire marshal."

"i wanna buy a batman!"

george's eyes open much faster than he'd like them to in response to the unfamiliar voices. he sighs to himself when he sees the simpsons playing on the tv, some scene in a comic store playing out.

he reaches out for the remote, quickly turning the volume down in hopes that the quiet will lull him back into sleep.

it's only when he drops the remote back onto the coffee table that he processes the fact that he is on the couch, not in his bed. the room around him is dark, despite the curtains being open, and he notices that the only source of light in his direct vicinity is the shine of the tv. though, from the shape of the shadows cast across the room, he can tell that the kitchen light must be on behind him.

it isn't until george hears the murmur of voices that he remembers the day he's had. much like yesterday, he had been awoken by karl. today is the brunette's last full day with them and george had figured he would want to go out with sapnap and dream and do something actually fun, like universal or whatever. george had assumed he would be at home alone because, even though they would definitely invite them, he was more than prepared to deny the offer. he's too tired.

so he had been shocked when karl made it evidently clear that all he wanted to do was lounge around the house and spend the day enjoying each other's company. even despite george's continuous arguments, karl had been absolutely insistent that he wasn't fussed about going out.

like yesterday, george had been dragged out of bed and downstairs. today, however, there was breakfast waiting for him. he'd sat with his best friends in the kitchen which three of them shared and enjoyed a properly cooked meal for the first time in arguably too long.

dream had demanded that they play board games, even though sapnap valiantly argued that board games are a nighttime exclusive activity.

george can't remember the time frame between them playing scrabble and them switching to tv. he's almost certain that they weren't watching the simpsons when he had fallen asleep -not that he remembers falling asleep- because he imagines that he would remember dream's protests for the show.

the brunette sits up, suddenly hating the fact that he is alone in the living room after spending his whole day with other people. normally he loves having time to himself after an extended period of socialising, but not once did he feel tired of company today. sure, he wasn't all that chatty and he had spent most of his time just cuddling karl and listening to conversations, but still.

"well, it's not like i couldn't tell you."

george can barely hear his friends' whispers, and he makes the educated assumption that they're trying to be quiet because they think that he is asleep.

the brunette stands from the couch, stretching his back as he moves and letting himself yawn. he feels a breath of tiredness leaving with his next exhale.

"you should've-"

"let him tell us."

"-told us earlier."