chapter 1

The sand on the beach of New York scattered Selene's body like stars though they were well hidden by the freckles covering her skin. She heard someone approaching behind her, seagulls calling to one another as the wind whipped around them. She turned her head slightly, watching her father make his way across the sand, his salt and pepper hair blew to the side as he lowered himself next to her.

"It's almost time to go," He said, nudging her shoulder, "Third year! Are you excited?"

Selene laughed a quiet sort of laugh that could almost be mistaken for the crash of the waves as she squinted out at the ocean, watching the raging sea slam into the sand like it had a personal issue with it.

"You don't have to pretend you like magic Dad. Or that you like my school. I know how you feel about it."

He sighed shaking his head and staring out at the water that went on forever with her, "I don't not, not like magic or your school, Selene. I don't like what it did to us. That I have to live in the U.S. while you and your mother live in England but it is a part of you. And I love everything about you, including that."

Selene smiled, "It's not that bad that you live here, I mean I know you don't get to see Mom that much but I get to see you on my breaks. Which is good when you really think about it because that's the only time I would get to see you anyway."

"I guess so," He said, kissing the top of her head, "Now come on, and let's get back to the house before your mother has a fit so that you aren't going to have enough time to get your supplies before the train leaves tomorrow."

They pushed themselves off the sand, brushing it from their clothes, smiling, knowing that they would still find sand on them for weeks after this. They hiked back up the beach towards his apartment, feet sinking into the sand. Selene paused taking one look back over her shoulder at the ocean. Summer is already over.

"Oh, my god, " Cassandra Seawell squealed when she ran down the steps of her house and towards Selene who was standing outside her house, a huge, excited smile resting on her lips as she opened her arms.

She lunged herself at Selene hugging her tight, almost knocking them over in her excitement. Selene laughed and hugged back, squeezing her eyes tight, and taking in the familiar feelings of her best friend's hugs.

"Where's Annie?" She asked pushing back to look at her friend and her jaw dropped immediately.

"Your hair, Cas," She gasped, smiling as she admired her friend's hair, "It looks so good. The best decision you ever made."

Cas beamed and tossed her long braid over her shoulder, "It took my mom forever to be convinced. She barely agreed."

"I'm so happy she did," Selene gasped admiring the gold thread-like material that was weaved through some of the braids.

They turned and started walking down the street, a soft breeze flowing through their hair. Muggles rushed by, either on their way to work or just in a hurry to be somewhere. Some were talking to each other, different conversations fading in and out. One lady pushed a stroller past, a fat baby strapped in who looked up at Selene with bright blue eyes, a bit of spit hanging from their mouth.

"So where is Annie?" Selene asked again, turning in a circle as they walked hoping the third member of their trio would suddenly pop up.

"She was running behind as usual so she is meeting us at the Leaky Cauldron."

Selene rolled her eyes, "Of course, she's always running late."

But Selene did not mind. Annie could take as long as she wanted with everything that happened last year.