epilogue

The first time SeleneFeasby Parkinson met Theodore Nott that she could remember, was at the Ministry's annual summer ball. It was a horrible idea thought up to raise morale among all the workers. That somehow if they served enough champagne and free food people would all of a sudden be content with the Ministry.

So when Selene's mother dragged her to one when she was seven years old, forcing her by her side the entire night so that she could make sure she never came close to a Pureblood, Selene got extremely bored. Not just bored, but extremely hungry. At one point her stomach growled so loud that her mother heard it while she was in a group discussion with the Minister of Magic himself. She bent down to Selene's height and whispered in her ear to go get something to eat from the table and come right back. To not talk to anyone or look at anyone weirdly.

Selene walked to the food table as fast as her little legs could carry her and surveyed the table with a mix of wonder and excitement. Her eyes tried to take in as much as she could as she walked the length of the table trying to decide what to get and finally landing on what was the only right answer. A biscuit. She picked it up and was about to bite into it when she felt the bow in her hair get roughly tugged out, pulling some hair with it and causing her to miss the biscuit entirely, teething colliding together painfully.

She cried out and whipped around to see a young boy a little taller than her staring at the bow in his hand with his top lip turned up in disgust. Before Selene could say anything he held her bow to the nearest candle letting it catch on fire and then dropping it onto the tablecloth. She stared in open mouth shock as the fire spread, catching the whole table on fire.

"Mudblood," he whispered before running away, leaving Selene clutching an uneaten biscuit and a blazing table burning behind her, waiting for her to take the blame.

The next time she saw him was during the Christmas ball when she wiggled her way out of her mom's grasp and grabbed a candle from a nearby table. She marched her way through the crowd of people, her green satin dress swishing as she walked straight up to him where he stood by the fountain, watching the water and held the candle flame to the leg of his pants. The flame latched onto his pants almost immediately and Selene turned and walked away. She did not run. Because she was proud of what she had done.

Looking back, Selene guessed that there was some poetic justice to that. "Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire." He had called her a Mudblood and that's not true. Selene was very proud of her blood. Proud of what she and her family had endured being together, proud of both sides of the half-in-half blood. And that was something Theodore Nott could never understand.