014. #savemissjenn

as manny turned the key in the lock to her front door, she expected the usual empty silence that greeted her when she arrived home from school

as manny turned the key in the lock to her front door, she expected the usual empty silence that greeted her when she arrived home from school. however, as she pushed the door open, the lights were on, and the house seemed unnaturally alive with activity.

stepping cautiously into the foyer, the brunette's heart sank as she entered upon her parents and odesa standing there chatting, as if they were waiting for her to get home.

her mother's forced smile sent a shiver down her spine, and odesa's presence only added to the sense of foreboding. "oh my god." manny whispered under her breath.

"manuella, it's so good to see you." odesa's greeting was laced with false warmth, making manny recoil slightly. she detested being addressed by her full name, especially by her sister, who wielded it like a weapon.

"hi, odesa," manny replied tersely, keeping her distance from her sister's embrace. "w-what are you guys doing here?"

her mother's smile widened, though it didn't quite reach her eyes. "we just wanted to surprise you, sweetie," she said, her tone saccharine.

manny's suspicion grew, her gaze darting between her parents and odesa. "surprise me?" she echoed, her voice tinged with skepticism.

"yeah, we thought it would be nice to spend some quality family time together," odesa chimed in, her expression tight with forced cheerfulness.

manny's stomach churned with unease, sensing that something was amiss. "but you guys never come home unannounced like this." she pointed out, her voice tinged with apprehension.

her father shifted uncomfortably, avoiding her gaze. "well, we thought it would be a nice change of pace," he mumbled, his words lacking conviction.

odesa stepped forward, her demeanor oozing with false concern. "we just wanted to catch up, see how you've been," she said, though her eyes gleamed with something darker.

"come on, girls, let's all sit down," her mother suggested, motioning toward the living room.

🎶

just as manny was beginning to resign herself to the situation, the front door burst open, startling everyone in the room. in rushed ricky, standing on the threshold, a sheepish smile on his face.

"hey, why was the door locked?" ricky's voice trailed off as he realized the situation he had just walked into. his eyes widened in surprise as he took in the scene before him – manny sitting with her family, all of them staring at him in awkward silence. "oh, hello.. everyone,"

"how did he get in? ..you gave him a key to our house?"  odesa's hushed accusatory tone sliced through the air, her suspicion evident as she eyed ricky with narrowed eyes.

"it's ricky, don't be so dramatic." manny whispered in defence, a note of annoyance creeping into her voice. she'd totally forgotten about inviting him over in the midst of all this.