008. necklace truths

after a couple conversations with her friends and ej, nini came to her senses and realized stealing from manny and gina was wrong

after a couple conversations with her friends and ej, nini came to her senses and realized stealing from manny and gina was wrong. so she was planning on returning their items without their knowledge.

the next afternoon, the brunette attempted to discreetly return their belongings backstage. but just as she was about to return them, she was compelled to conceal herself as she overheard the girls entering the room with the costume designer in tow.

"okay, i have a few different options. just hear me out, but i think you should try this one on first." the costume designer suggested as she walked in.

gina's excitement was palpable as she inquired, "wait are these for the new dance break in status quo?" she eagerly made her way to a rack, and curiously, it seemed to shake slightly even before she touched it.

"you like them?" the costume designer asked, a grin on her face. "high-key love them! whose is whose?" gina exclaimed.

the costume designer pointed to the garments, clarifying, "taylor. gabriella. martha."

"okay, mine is everything! but, for martha you may wanna put her in a color that pops a little more. she's already bland as is." manny offered her suggestion.

"as a person, sweetest girl in the world, she meant as an actress." gina corrected her, "i just don't want her to get lost in the crowd."

manny, wearing a smirk, responded, "no, i meant as a person." she was done pretending to be nice. nini scoffed behind the rack, starting to change her mind about everything.

🎶

nini seethed with anger as she sat on her bed, her frustration palpable. kourtney walked into the room, inquiring, "did you return their stuff?"

the girl hesitated for a moment before admitting, "i may have stolen manny's water bottle."

"oh no." kourtney fretted. nini felt the weight of her actions and shook her head in guilt, muttering, "you don't have to say it."

kourtney, however, had a confession of her own to make, "no, i stole three shirts, some jewelry, a hairbrush, and her laptop!" dumping the stolen items onto the bed.

nini's jaw dropped in astonishment, "oh my god." she exclaimed. kourtney's tone grew more desperate as she added, "there's more in the front pocket."

"kourtney!" her shock turned into a scream of disbelief.

kourtney's voice wavered as she realized the gravity of their actions. "yeah, we goin' to jail!"

🎶

after today's rehearsal, manny found herself backstage, standing before the mirrors, meticulously fixing her hair. she had borrowed hazel's hairbrush because her own had mysteriously gone missing. she seemed to be losing everything lately.

as she focused on her reflection, nini entered the room, holding a filled black trash bag. "hey, manny." she began, "do you have a second?"

manny rolled her eyes, responding with a hint of annoyance, "for you? that's all i have. what do you want?"

nini took a deep breath and started, "okay, so i just wanna say, i don't know what happened with my phone, and i don't care anymore, and i know you don't like me very much, and i'm okay with that. but, we have to find a way to respect each other, and that starts with me."

she proceeded to dump the contents of the trash bag onto the table, revealing all of manny's lost belongings. manny didn't say a word but looked up at the girl.

"so, when i thought you stole my phone, i may have gone a little crazy, and then you said something mean and i may have gone extra crazy. point is, i've come into possession of a few of your things and i would like to return them to you." nini explained.

manny responded monotonously, "wow. problem solved. thanks a lot."

the brunette continued, "it was kind of a workout getting it all here. i don't know how you walk around with all this stuff. you must be freakishly strong. uh, but that's beside the point."

"what is the point?" manny squinted standing up from her seat.

nini nervously smiled, taking a small step back, "i'm not gonna be a doormat for you, but i'm also not gonna be a klepto. so we can all just stay in our lane and find our own ways to thrive. right? stick to the status quo."

manny nodded with a thoughtful, "hmm."

"anyway, i hope you enjoy having all of your randomly heavy stuff back. and i'll see you at rehearsal." nini kindly concluded.

but as she turned to leave, the mendoza girl called out, "just one thing before you go."nini turned back, her expression betraying her uncertainty. "i didn't have your phone." she revealed.

the girl's face fell; she had been so sure, and now she didn't know who to trust. "i need to ask you about something."

manny pursed her lips. after this conversation, she started to respect nini a little more for being open and honest. "i'm feeling generous today. shoot."

"i'm not stupid, okay? i know you know something. can you tell me everything about this necklace?"

nini removed the infinity necklace from around her neck and placed it on the table. manny looked up at her, contemplating whether nini was truly ready to hear what she knew.