009. you're on, lovers

"hey nini! wait up!" ej called out as he raced the girl down the east high stairs

"hey nini! wait up!" ej called out as he raced the girl down the east high stairs. he hadn't seen her all day and knew something was up.

nini, her attention firmly set on descending the steps, appeared to be in a hurry, deflecting his attempts at conversation. "i don't wanna be late."

ej's curiosity got the better of him as he continued to trail her down the hall, inquiring, "what's up? where were you during lunch?"

without breaking stride, the brunette offered a fabricated excuse, "i had a costume fitting."

"but why haven't you answered my texts?" he asked once more getting on her last nerve.

exasperated, nini paused and turned to face him, her voice carrying a note of annoyance as she muttered, "could we not do this right now, please?"

the entire drama club observed with bated breath, their attention being grasped by the scene as they waited for the rehearsal room door to be unlocked.

following the revelation of last weeks event, manny felt compelled to disclose the truth to nini. she recounted the story of how ej had given the necklace to her during their previous relationship, only to conveniently pass it on to nini, his new girlfriend. now, the mendoza girl was left to sit back and watch.

she honestly didn't take much joy in it. while this whole thing started to get back at nini, she started to feel bad for her, realizing she had just been manipulated and played for a fool.

"do what? are you mad at me?" he inquired, his eyes betraying his unease.

acutely aware of the growing audience around them, anxiously scanned her surroundings, nini exasperatedly sighed.

"you're mad at me." ej deduced, casting his gaze downward, "look, there was no fitting at lunch."

"fine." nini huffed, "wanna know where i was at lunch? i was at the computer lab bribing some hacker to crack into my phone to recover a message you deleted when you stole it!"

manny's brows raised. she didn't know ej was the one that stole nini's phone, but she couldn't say she was surprised either.

"wait.. why do you think that i—" ej tried to deny it, already caught red-handed.

"oh, please." nini scoffed, "gina and manny aren't the ones i need to worry about, are they?"

the whole club was nosily staring in the hall, kids were recording, and manny was just sulking in the caswell boy's defeat. he's had it coming for months.

ej, noticing the disapproving glares, attempted to steer the conversation away, gently reaching for nini's arm and suggesting, "can we talk about this over—"

"don't. manny already told me everything. you can take this back, destroy it for all i care." nini dismissed him, tossing the necklace against his chest and turning around.