012. to kiss in cars

_________________________

MANNY, junior

"look, i don't know why i did that?! okay? i was just so mad at everyone! but now i'm done with all of this, i'm quitting the show, quitting school, and moving to iceland or something."

_________________________

tonight's homecoming could not be going worse. standing at the coat check, manny slipped into her jacket, contemplating the embarrassing trail of her actions tonight.

"sorry, i don't do cash. could you send me a venmo request?" manny requested, drawing a small nod from the coat check lady. the digital transaction completed, as the woman retreated to the back to organize.

manny lingered by the table, acutely aware of the embarrassment that clung to her after a night of questionable decisions. the truth in hazel's words resonated – manipulation and scheming seemed an inevitable companion wherever she went.

"need to borrow a buck?" ricky hesitantly approached, slowly coming down the hall. he was pretty rude to her before, and he knew he needed to apologize.

"please just leave me alone, ricky. i really don't have it in me tonight for round two." manny muttered, her voice laced with frustration, as she quickened her pace.

"wait, wait!" ricky called out after her, his touch on her wrist gentle, a subtle caress to turn her around, "i was actually gonna apologize."

"okay, go ahead." she said, crossing her arms, ready to hear what he had to say.

"oh, that was actually it. the apology." he muttered, earning an incredulous scoff from manny. "look, who you go out with or don't go out with isn't any of my business."

"then why are you making it your business?" the mendoza girl questioned, the lingering hint of annoyance playing on her face.

"good question. i don't know!" ricky admitted, his gaze dropping momentarily, "it's like, when we both joined the show, neither of us knew what we were doing.. and i feel like we're kind of figuring it out together, and in a way, we sort of.. got each other."

"i mean, we did until you came for me." manny's words lingered low in dejection.

"yeah, i'm sorry." ricky responded, remorse in his voice, "my world's been a little upside down lately. at home, too. it's a whole thing."

"you know that you're not the only one with home drama." she gently reminded him, her words cloaked in understanding. he knew how much she hated being alone in that house.

"right." he nodded, "well, i didn't need to add to yours. i guess i just... i care about you, manny.. and maybe i overstepped. but i don't want things to be weird between us anymore." ricky admitted, his eyes reflecting sincerity.

"give me a ride and we'll call all of it even?" manny suggested, a soft half-smile playing on her lips as she turned to head to the car.

"sure, yeah." ricky agreed, a bashful chuckle escaping as he awkwardly cleared his throat, following after her.

🎶

as big red's orange car glided into manny's driveway, bathed in the soft glow of the night, she turned to ricky with a teasing sparkle in her eyes.

"same as you remember? wrought iron gate and a bunch of gargoyles?" she remarked, her tone laced with playful sarcasm.

"kinda.. nah, you're not that scary." ricky replied with a tender smile.

"who would've thought? two people who know absolutely nothing about theater starring in the school musical together." manny mused, her gaze lingering on his warm eyes.

"uh, i kinda owe you a thank you, actually." ricky confessed, his voice a gentle melody in the quiet space.

"for what?" manny inquired, her head tilting slightly.

"you were right that day when we argued at rehearsal.. i did join for nini, but i stayed for you." he revealed, his eyes tracing the contours of her face.

"what do you mean?" she whispered, a hint of vulnerability in her voice. her world seemed to stop and stand still for a moment just gazing into his eyes.

"i was in, way over my head. i joined on a whim, hoping it would somehow show nini how much i cared. but i didn't even really know what i was getting myself into, how much work it was gonna be. i was just about ready to quit the second i was cast. neither you or her wanted anything to do with me."

"and then we got in that fight, and you set me straight. i didn't want to quit on you again, even if you didn't want me there. and the next day, when i walked in on you singing that song with ashlyn, you blew me away. i never knew you could do that. i mean, i've heard you sing.. in your room, and at the auditions and stuff, but never like that."

"and, in the moment, when we saw each other.. it felt like you kinda cared too. and i thought maybe, just maybe, i could get us back.. and um, ever since then, it's been a big deal for me. uh, the troy thing."

in the hush of the enchanted moment, manny found herself in awe. she never knew he cared that much. all of the sudden she was looking at ricky bowen, her best friend since kindergarten, in a whole new light. "well it suits you." she bashfully smiled.

"hmm. i still don't know all the theater terms." ricky confessed, a playful grin tugging at the corners of his lips. "me either." manny chuckled, glancing down for a moment.

"i don't know. it's just nice to have somewhere to go after school every day, you know?" he muttered, knowing she could relate.

"yeah." manny nodded along. she still didn't know what happened last week and why he ended up at hazel's, but those were questions for another time. "i should probably.." she pointed her thumb back at the car door, indicating it was probably time for her to go in the house. "yeah." ricky whispered with a small smile.

"thanks for the ride, goodnight ricky." manny softly smiled, her lips painted with a subtle brush of affection. as she leaned in, a gentle caress traced the contours of his cheek, building anticipation before she surprised him with a tender kiss on the lips.

"what was that for?" ricky questioned, his face aglow with a blend of curiosity and delight, like a constellation finding its place in the night sky.

"i just... wanted to see what it was like. knowing it was gonna happen this time." manny smirked cheekily, her eyes reflecting the playful spark.

"well, what was it like?" he asked, overwhelmed by the unexpected sweetness of the moment. "you were there." she reminded him, letting out a light giggle.

"yeah, but, i... i wasn't ready for it." ricky stuttered, obviously flustered by her radiance.

"what would you have done differently?" manny raised a brow, teasing with a smug reaction. "i don't know, something with my lips." he awkwardly shrugged.

she nodded along with a smirk, "sounds good. let's try that next time." ricky gulped, "when exactly is next time?"

"good night, ricky." she repeated, stepping out of the car, leaving ricky with a lingering sense of intrigue.

the boy watched her go in awe, leaning back in the drivers seat as he whispered to himself, "yeah, cause i'm really gonna sleep after that."