𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏

EDITED.

Temple swooped down lower, landing on his back talons before connecting wings. He huffed out a small plume of smoke. Settling on all fours, he made a small noise of confirmation to make sure his human was alive.

Vincent grimaced at the awful landing. "We gotta work on that landing, T. I bet the Scauldrons could hear you from outcast island." he chuckled.

Temple snorted, shaking Vincent slightly. He could feel the rough leather scrape against his scales. Vincent sighed, looking south, towards more sea stacks.

The bleak yet oddly beautiful landscape stretched out as far as he could see, a glimmering expanse of water, disturbed by the occasional sea stack. The horizon blurred in his vision, sea and sky melting into one, the sun the only distinct separation. Sounds of creatures echoed slightly throughout the archipelago, and if you were a seasoned explorer, you could make out the occasional roar of a Monstrous Nightmare, or if you listened close enough with absolute silence, you may be able to pinpoint the faint song of a very deadly dragon. 

"Looks like dinner will be scarce tonight, pal."

He blew a piece of hair out of his face, his blue eyes slowly flitting across the serene view, taking it all in.

Temple grumbled at Vincent's words. He abruptly lifted his head though, and spun it all the way around to look at Vincent. No, behind Vincent. A low growl rumbled in his throat, his eyes narrowing into slits.

"What is it, T?" The teen asked, grabbing a dagger from a side pouch, on edge and ready to fight, the mood he was used to after so many years of fending for himself and hopping from island to island, a life a mere teen should not be living.

Temple didn't react, staring off into the trees on the north side, a soft breeze blowing through them. But was it only the wind making the leaves move?

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆟 𓆝

A black dragon, soared through the air, the wind flowing around his black and white wings, his white underbelly being shown as he briefly turned over. Freya let out a small, joyful laugh at her dragon's antics as she gently steered him with her legs. As he flew higher and higher, she let go of the saddle, enjoying the moment. 

The ocean stretched out from every side, a view she was used to since she was a child, but it was only fairly recently that she could see the breathtaking sight from such a high point of view.

Eventually, Thor flew down closer to the ground. "Pesky patrols," Freya muttered to herself. "I wish we could just ask some guys from Berk to do this, I bet a bunch of people'll be keen."

As they continued checking the island for any intruders, she heard a loud noise and saw some trees rustle in the distance. Narrowing her eyes, Freya steered Thor towards the sound. 

She landed Thor near the area quietly, dismounting without making so much as a little rustle in the leaves as she landed, and rested her hand on the hilt of her sword. "Let's go check it out, boy."

Freya slowly approached the place that she heard the unusual noise, and hid behind a berry bush, peeking over it, being careful to avoid any thistles or poisonous berries. "Oh, for Thor's sake." Her eyes widened slightly, with fascination or fear, no one could tell. She let out a mutter as she spotted a massive dragon, his wingspan as big as Thor, and claws that looked like they could rip you apart with just one stroke, in the clearing. As she slowly crept closer towards it, staying mindful to be quiet, Thor stopped her, blocking her with his tail.

He growled at Freya, a warning clear in his gaze, but she stroked him gently, to show that she would be okay. "Don't worry, just stay here." She whispered, trying to keep her voice clear. Taking a deep breath and bracing herself, Freya straightened up, pulling her sword out of the sleeve and walking towards the dragon, her back slightly lowered in case she needed to run, or worse, fight.

Hearing the familiar sound of a sword, the big dragon tensed, whipping his head around and his pupils turning into slits. Next to him, the lanky Viking squared his shoulders, brandishing his long dagger, and slowly slipping off the dragon, landing gracefully on the ground next to him.

Freya, her eyes darting around warily in case it was a trap, noticed the guy next to the dragon, and tilted her head, pointing her sword at him, making sure to keep the fearsome dragon in her peripheral vision. "Who the hell are you?"

He pointed his dagger towards the newcomer, only a person with sharp eyes could see his hands slightly shaking. "Real question is, what the hell do you want?" He asked tersely.

"I want to know why you're here." Her gaze was glued to the boy, trying to decide if he was a threat or not. With a dragon like that, he probably was. Freya heard a rustle in the bushes behind her, feeling like a small weight was lifted from her shoulders as the reassurance that Thor was still there.

"And I want to know why I'm not supposed to be here," The strange boy snarled back, tightening his grip on his weapon. Temple tilted his head down next to Vincent's head, keeping his eyes fixed on the girl.

Vincent scanned the area in front of him, including the girl. There wasn't an island within a long distance, so coming by boat was unlikely. Her clothes were thick with wool, and dragon scales decorated her armor. Dragon scales. With her hair messed up a bit and her pink tinged cheeks, as if she had been flying, he quickly realised she wasn't alone.

He couldn't hear anything- or anyone- else, but his hearing wasn't quite as good as Temples. Vincent glanced to the side of his dragon. His eyes were still focused on the girl though, not seeming to notice any other threats nearby.

"This area already has inhabitants," Freya spoke, an edge to her voice. "In case you haven't noticed, most people don't take kindly to random strangers staying near their home.."

"Home?" he scoffed. "You could fit about four people on this sea stack." He narrowed his eyes. "But, I'd love to hear about this lovely island filled with inhabitants."

Freya scoffed. "I don't exactly think you're in the position to be making remarks about this place." She stalked forwards until she was only about a foot away from him. She looked him in the eye. "I think it's best if you leave now. Or you can meet the rest of us. You're not the only one in the archipelago with a dragon."

Temple growled as she approached, baring his teeth with a snarl, but Vincent put a reassuring hand on his neck. "Chill buddy, I'm just passing through. Put down the metal stick and maybe I'll grace 'the rest of you' with my presence," he said curtly.

Freya let out a laugh, the corner of her lips tilting up in a smirk. "Don't be so full of yourself." She pointed the sword at his chest, the tip of it gently grazing him. "For all I know, you could be a threat."

Vincent didn't flinch, staring her in the eye. He rested the dagger gently against her wrist, right on the arteries, pressing it in a little bit but not enough to draw blood. "I think you should take a step back, m'lady. You threaten every pretty boy you come across?" His eyes flashed.

As soon as the blade so much as touched the girl, Thor leapt out from the bushes, landing next to Freya with a loud growl, his wings spread out, eyes narrowed to slits, and teeth bared. Freya chuckled, raising the other hand in a slight warning gesture to Thor. "I wouldn't exactly call you 'pretty'."

"And I wouldn't exactly call you 'dangerous'." Temple slapped away her hand with his tail, growling at the other dragon. Vincent glanced at the big scaly beast, tensing slightly in his stance.

"Now, now, let's just take a step back," he said, an innocent smile on his face. "I didn't come here for trouble. You got food, I'll bite. You got fire power, I'll leave as quick as I came."

Freya tilted her head, but nonetheless stepped back, her muscles still tense. "So you don't mean harm?" Her eyes narrowed slightly.

"Do I look like I mean harm?" As he said it, he lost some of the fight in his stance. A flash of weariness crossed his face. He was so tired, he hadn't eaten in days.

Temple brushed his back with his tail, looking away from the other dragon.

Freya sighed, her gaze softening momentarily. "Come with me."

A/N: Hope you're enjoying it so far! First chapter's a bit short, but I'll publish another soon.