23

The house seemed to echo with the weight of unspoken pain after Vincent's departure. The heavy silence was only broken by the haunting sound of Liam's knuckles rapping against Madison's locked bedroom door. Each thud echoed the desperation he felt, a plea for connection in the midst of shattered trust.

"Madison, please, open up. We need to talk," Liam implored, his voice strained with the agony of the situation.

From behind the door, Madison's sobs were audible, a heartbreaking symphony of despair. "There's no need! I heard everything. Just leave me alone!" Her words, punctuated by tearful cries, cut through the air, a plea for solitude.

Undeterred, Liam continued to bang on the door, his desperation mounting. "Madison, I'm sorry. Let me explain. We can work through this together."

Madison's cries grew louder, a mix of anger and hopelessness. "I don't want to see anyone! Just go away, or I'll…I'll harm myself!"

Fear gripped Liam's heart. The mere thought of Madison hurting herself was unbearable. Reluctantly, he stepped back, defeated. "Alright, Madison. I'll give you space, but please, don't do anything rash. We can talk when you're ready."

Maya, observing from the shadows, felt her heart ache for the broken family. She silently followed Liam as he retreated to his room, a ghost of defeat trailing behind him. When he entered his room, she quietly slipped inside after him, closing the door with a soft click.

Liam sank into a chair, the room heavy with the weight of despair. Maya, cautious yet determined, closed the door behind her. "Liam, you can't face this alone. Talk to me," she urged, her voice a gentle anchor in the storm.

"I just need some time alone, Maya. Please, leave me be," Liam replied, his eyes tired and defeated.

Maya, however, ignored his plea. She shut the door, a symbolic gesture of solidarity, and took a few steps toward him. Seeing him reach for a bottle of vodka, she swiftly placed her hand on his, silently urging him to reconsider.

Annoyance flashed in Liam's eyes as he pulled away. "Are you here to lecture me about my drinking habits again?"

Maya sighed, a genuine apology in her eyes. "No, Liam. Please, look here.
I'm sorry." She slipped her fingers in-between his. "I apologise for judging your parenting skills. I understand your pain right now."

Liam turned to face her, his eyes welling with tears. A single drop traced a path down his cheek. "You don't know half of my pain as a father."

Maya met his gaze with unwavering empathy. "Then let me learn it, Liam. You shouldn't bear this alone."

Liam's guard wavered, and he confessed, "I've been anticipating this day since Madison was born, but I never expected it to come so soon. Do you know the pain and fear that comes with separation from your own child? Madison is the reason I work tirelessly to meet her needs, but it's never enough. I didn't satisfy her mental and emotional needs. I tried so hard to love and accept her as my own, to look past her mother's mistakes but I failed. I fear losing her to Vincent, and I can't convince her that I'm changing for her because it might be too late."

Maya listened intently, tears welling in her own eyes. "Liam, you've been trying. You're the best father for Madison, and nothing can change that."

Liam shook his head, a bitter realization in his eyes. "The law can change everything in the blink of an eye. If I lose Madison to her biological father, I lose everything. My world revolves around her, aside from my parents, who live miles away."

Maya encouraged him not to surrender so easily. "Don't give up, Liam. Pull yourself together. I'm here for you, always rooting for you and Madison."

Liam, now sobered, questioned her sincerity. "Really? You don't blame me anymore?"