Chapter 60 - Preparation

Beginne am Anfang

It had been a long time since I got to speak to Maya or Chiaki. The recent special exams, the ordeal with Class C, and the Student Council meant I didn't have as much free time as before. Reliving some of the earlier days at school would be nice.

As I approached the entrance to Keyaki Mall, where I was supposed to meet Maya, my eye caught a familiar figure standing by the entrance.

"Hey, Kei," I called out as I made my way over.

"Oh. Akio, what are you doing here?" Kei asked with a hint of surprise in her voice.

"Maya asked me to meet with her at the mall. I have no clue what it's about, but she made it seem urgent."

"Eh?" Kei had a surprised and confused look on her face.

"What's that look for?"

Kei fumbled in her purse for a moment and proceeded to pull out her phone to a message.

"Could you meet me at Keyaki Mall when it opens? I want to talk to you about sumthing."

"That's essentially what Maya sent me yesterday," I said.

"I wonder why she would need to meet with both of us or why she messaged us separately in the first place?"

"It would seem much easier to message us both. Did she not want to hurt Chiaki's feelings?"

"Maybe. You never know with a girl like Maya. She might've done it just for fun. Hehe," Kei let out an awkward laugh at the end.

"Yeah, right."

An awkward silence filled the void in our conversation. But ever since I talked with Kei, there was a level of awkwardness or tension between us.

Was it from what happened on the rooftop with Ryuuen?

We hadn't talked since then.

And our exchange on the rooftop, from what I remember, was less than pleasant.

Was she harboring ill feelings about me? Did my image in her eyes drastically change for the worse?

Even if I asked, would she tell me the truth?

"Hey, Kei. About a couple days ago... I just want to make sure you're alright?"

"Ye-yeah. I think so," she said with her eyes downcast. "I'm a tough girl, ya'know," Kei replied, striking a pose and a brave smile.

"And if I said anything to hurt you, I'm..."

"Don't worry about it. It was in the heat of the moment, right? Didn't mean anything."

"Well, if something like that ever happens to you again. Or if Ryuuen tries anything, don't be afrai-."

"Hey, you two!"

An energetic Maya suddenly appeared and wrapped her arms around our necks. Only slightly strangling us.

"Hasn't it felt like forever since we last hung out?"

"Maya, s-slowly... losing... conscious...ness," Kei said while faking passing out.

"Oops. Sorry, I was just a little excited," Maya finally released her death grip on us.

"Why'd you call out both of us today?" I asked.

"Wow. Straight to the point, Akio. No feelings at all~. No, how's your day, how've you been, it's been sooooo long since we last spoke-."

"Stop rambling," I cut her off.

"Fine. Fine. I'll explain why I asked to meet with both of you. But I should buy you two breakfasts for troubling you so early."