58: Coin on the Scale

"How are the preparations?"

"Both operations are going smoothly, Your Excellency. The weather will be good for the next two days so we'll be able to install the cannons much faster."

"That's good. Inform the engineers to keep us posted and tell the soldiers in the area to tighten security until the installation is complete," Kokomi nodded at General Gorou's report, "And the other?"

"The messenger has left Narukami Island without intervention. We still need to wait for a few days until we can confirm that he successfully delivered the message," General Gorou replied.

"Hm... The mainland is a long distance away and it might take us a week before getting a reply," Kokomi held her chin thoughtfully.

"Would you like to send a messenger bird instead?" General Gorou asked. Kokomi shook her head, "No. It's too risky."

Although receiving messages would benefit them greatly, they can't be complacent. Soleil has influential contacts on the mainland and may catch wind of the messenger's intentions.

"Let's put those aside for now. What matters is that they've been set into motion," Kokomi said, "Those cannons are still top priority so we must ensure they are fully prepared for defense."

"Yes, Your Excellency," Gorou bowed his head. "However..." Kokomi crossed her arms with a small frown, "Something feels off."

It's been two weeks since they've taken station in Seirai and forced Soleil and the Fatui down south to Tsurumi. But they have not shown much signs of activity since the burning of the Fatui ships and Kokomi has gotten suspicious.

They're incredibly lax. Am I missing something or miscalculated their move? Kokomi thought. Her lips pressed firmly.

She's gathered intelligence long before the skirmish happened, and her people would report that Soleil has built countless of weapons. Some of them just as deadly with or without the power of Visions.

Kokomi was relying on Soleil's moral compass to not resort to mass murder. But her silence and the lengthy time that passed began to make Kokomi feel uneasy.

The time that passed is enough for Soleil to amass weapons that she could build by herself. Could it be...?

"Gorou, gather a few squads and send them to Tsurumi ASAP," Kokomi said. "At once, Your Excellency. What orders will I give them?" Gorou asked.

"Tell them to find the base where Soleil could be and attack," Kokomi said coldly, "There's something I'd like to confirm."

"Understood," Gorou said. His ear perked as he heard shuffles from beyond the tent and decided to check it out.

Kokomi watched him curiously as he spoke with a soldier that came rushing in a hurry. Whispers and murmurs were traded between Gorou and his subordinate. Then, Gorou's tail froze still.

The Divine Priestess was concerned. Gorou was more than shocked. Was something wrong?

"Y...Your Excellency," Gorou slowly turned to Kokomi, his eyes wide. "Be calm, Gorou. Tell me what happened," Kokomi said.

"I've received a report from the Watatsumi branch..." Gorou muttered grimly, "The office at the Corps headquarters was burned down."

"What...?" Kokomi's lips parted in surprise. Then, she regained seriousness, "Are there any casualties?"

"Accidents and deaths are both zero. However, important papers were burned down. A report made by General Nahasaki says that the fire was caused after a masked woman with silver hair burned down the directives," Gorou said.