Prologue: Fulfilment of 'The' Promise

"Divine Priestess, huh? That's...an interesting role for you."

"You think so, too, huh?" Kokomi mused, holding her chin while observing the checkerboard before her, "Everyone seems to think I was unlikely to take that role so soon."

"Oh, that's not what got my attention. It's pretty normal for people of high status to take responsibilities early on," the Akademiya scholar she played with replied, "It's just the title that makes me curious."

"What of it?" Kokomi asked. "When you say 'divine', does that mean you inherit some kind of power from the Electro Archon? Or is it already a trait of the Sangonomiya bloodline that earns that monicker?" the young girl asked.

Kokomi smiled apologetically. "We don't exactly inherit a 'power' from the gods. As you might know, the ancestors of Watatsumi Island lived underwater and worshipped the serpent god Orobashi. Orobashi then paved a way so they can live on the surface. He ultimately perished under the Raiden Shogun in the Archon War," she explained, "My bloodline is one that inherited Orobashi's legacy. So I suppose the reason the title is called 'Divine Priestess' is due to the fact that it is her duty to look after Watatsumi in our late god's stead."

Kokomi placed a chip on the checkerboard with a clack. "A duty I was soon to take," she muttered silently. The scholar tilted her head.

"So... it's just for formalities, then?" she asked. "You can say that," Kokomi giggled. Oh, Soleil and her questions.

"Ah. That makes sense," Soleil's lips curled faintly. "You look amused," Kokomi pointed out, making the other girl giggle.

"Hehe. I'm sorry. I initially thought you still worshipped a god that was already dead. I mean, that really wouldn't make any sense," Soleil said, "But seeing as Watatsumi Island is now Inazuman territory, it must mean your traditions exist for historical sentimentality, right?"

Kokomi smiled wryly as response. Soleil blinked and covered her mouth, "Oh. It looks like I stepped on something sensitive. My apologies, Kokomi."

"No harm done. Although, this fruitful discussion made me realize a few things," Kokomi watched Soleil place a chip on the board, "Now that I think of it, my future role seems to be more of a pedestal of Watatsumi's history. Nothing more."

Kokomi picked her tea cup. "In this day and age where our fate is in the Raiden Shogun's hands and our god only exists in memory, my existence is just a symbol of resistance to her and her followers still," she whispered, "There may come a time where both sides will finally come to blow. It's hardly visible but everyone can tell that we are simply...'hostages' kept on a leash."

Her gradient eyes flickered to Soleil. "Don't tell this to anyone," she said. Soleil nodded. Kokomi sipped her tea and placed it back on the table with poise.

"But there's no use carrying ancient grudge," Kokomi said and rested her cheek against a palm. She looked at the waterfalls gushing into a cliff just meters away from where they sat.

The Sangonomiya Shrine was a clear view from underneath the tree of violet foliage. Its leaves drifted, resembling much of the petals of the flowers that bloomed on Mt. Yougou. But no matter the semblance, they were not alike.

"Still, you have to admit: Two shrines exist in Inazuma but do not worship the same deity," Soleil said amusingly, "I'd ask why your people have not converted religions, but the general watching from the distance is giving me the stink eye."

"Hehe," Kokomi giggled lightly when she saw Gorou keeping guard from the side, his frowning face never changing while watching their guest. With this keen ears, no doubt he has heard plenty of what she speaks freely.