56: The Phoenix, the Valley Orchard, and the Merchant

"A ship carrying cargo of metal ores left the harbor yesterday, but it was intercepted on its way to Port Ormos."

"Is that all?"

"No. The ship made an abrupt turn as soon as it left the Liyue seas. It was headed to Inazuma."

"Not only that," a blue bracelet glimmered under the moonlight, "My informants say that a middle-aged man approached the captain of the ship the day before for a conversation. The details are unknown, but I reckon a conversation with a stranger shouldn't usually cause a change for route."

"Hmm," smoky tendrils left Ningguang's lips as she exhaled, her face languid, "It seems like a typical piracy to me. But if it has your attention, surely there must be more to it."

"Naturally. I wouldn't get involve if it was the usual. But this one is special," a woman's voice could be heard from the shadows on the walls, hidden by the streaks of moonlight.

"So I guessed. You wouldn't be reporting to me so late in the evening if it could wait," Ningguang's calm ruby eyes darted over to the silhouette, "But first, make yourself comfortable, Yelan. There's no need to be so formal since it's just you and me."

"Heh. As you wish, Lady Ningguang."

Heels clicked faintly against the floorboards as the silhouette stepped into the moonlight, revealing a woman of short hair with iridescent hues and crown braid, and curled lips with hints of purple lipstick.

She wore a sleeveless sapphire and black bodysuit and a fashionable white jacket over her shoulders. The Hydro vision on her right thigh glimmered the same light as her diamond-shaped earrings and the blue tassel on her choker clinging to a glinting dice.

The woman sat on the couch and crossed her legs, facing the Tianquan sitting on her sophisticated desk.

"Well, I feel much more comfortable. Thank you for the hospitality," Yelan said. "Better," Ningguang nodded and brought her smoking pipe to her lips, "Proceed."

The tendrils of smoke lingered in the air as she exhaled.

"The middle-aged man that spoke with the captain was dressed as a native Liutian, but when I asked around, nobody seems to know his name or saw his face at all. Some suspect it was a hermit villager that had stepped into the harbor for the first time, but that wasn't the case," Yelan said, "I retraced the man's activity and lodging and ended up in the desserted Mingyun Village. What I found was not plenty, save for a few cosmetics, fake hair, and spare villager clothing."

"The middle-aged man was not truly a middle-aged man. Rather, a disguise for a surprise guest in Liyue," Yelan's lips curled, "The Nightingale of the Adventurer's Guild, Luna, was seen entering the Village but never seen leaving. Just a man no one knows a single thing about."

Ningguang's eyebrows rose. "Is that so?" she asked.

"I made sure to verify the information. Strangely enough, she made a reservation at Wangshu Inn for one night, but she was reported to have never checked in. She left her payments though, so Verr Goldet didn't make a fuss of it. Still, it's rather unusual," Yelan said, "This is also the first time she has checked in at Wangshu Inn, if I'm not mistaken."

"Anything else?" Ningguang asked. "Hmm? Oh, right," Yelan snapped her fingers and added, "She got herself a hefty sum from Northland Bank and deposited it in one of our own banks. But that's not the real deal—She was digging specific information concerning The Regrator."

Ningguang looked at her attentively. "What did she ask about?" she asked. "Beats me. I hate to admit it, but Luna has always been a slippery fish. She teases the bait, then leaves after knowing she had deceived the fisherman," Yelan shrugged.