49| Get in line

Jaxton Kincaids Pov

"Why are you so insistent on keeping him?" she asks, her frustration evident as I sit in my chair. "We can just fire him right now."

"Because," I respond tersely, focused on organizing some desk files.

"Oh, come on, Jaxton, I know you. You once fired someone because they were five minutes late to their first shift," she argues back.

"You just don't understand. If someone can be late to their first shift, then they have no problems with the others," I say, my attention still on the task at hand. "Amr!" I shout, looking for my secretary. Where is he anyway?

"Stop trying to change the subject, Mr. Zeto has issues with the English language; he has several grammar mistakes in his reports, talks too much, and distracts everyone in the office. Plus, he's old. He is soon going to retire and won't be of any use," she asserts, trying to prove her point.

I know Sumaya Khan is ruthless and very ambitious, but is she also heartless? How can she speak so disparagingly about an elderly man?

"Mr. Zeto is an important asset. If you don't want him in the tech marketing department, then he will come work for me here. And as for his retirement, it's already taken care of," I calmly state.

"What the hell do you mean?" She says angrily.

"Well, what do I mean, Sumaya?" I retort. "Don't play games with me, Jaxton," she says, standing up.

"Well, you know me. I don't exactly play games in business," I say, meeting her gaze.

"He has worked here for five months, and you decided to employ him without him coming in for an interview or applying for this position. And now you've used our money to fund his retirement?" she says even more angrily now.

"No. I used my money, my resources, my computer, my login, and transferred credits to him. Everything I used was mine. Remember, my money is far more than yours, Mrs. Khan," I say assertively.

"Jaxton, I didn't mean it like that, and you know it," she says, looking at me as she takes a seat.

"Sumaya, you cannot use his retirement as a way to fire him, and he is not going anywhere before he willingly quits," I assert persistently.

"But why? Why do you want him here so bad?" she asks, genuinely curious.

"It's personal," I say silently.

"You can tell me," she says, looking down.

"I don't mix personal and business, and you know that," I respond.

"Would it be so bad?" she asks, wearing a hopeful smile.

"What do you mean?" I inquire, and she looks down.

"I mean, would it be so bad to be a little more open with me?" she suggests.

"Yeah, it would be that bad. I don't know how to be any clearer with you than this. Sumaya, we are strictly business," I say firmly.

"Okay, I gotta head out now," she says in a hurry.

"Okay, but don't forget to send me the transfer papers for Mr. Zeto's employment," I remind her.

"Of course, Wa Alaykuma Salam," she says, and I respond, "Ma Salama," as she heads out the door.

I've noticed that Sumaya seems to want to be friends, or something more than just colleagues. Despite our awareness of the religious prohibitions that prevent us from forming close friendships, I can't shake the feeling that she's trying to connect with me on a personal level.