024 win some, lose some

WIN SOME, LOSE SOME
❝ you're a real soul crusher, you know that?

WIN SOME, LOSE SOME❝ you're a real soul crusher, you know that? ❞

I don't know what type of voodoo Pope used on his father to get him to let us take his delivery boat out for some 'deep sea fishing', but I'm grateful for it

I don't know what type of voodoo Pope used on his father to get him to let us take his delivery boat out for some 'deep sea fishing', but I'm grateful for it. It's much larger and much better equipped for the open water than the HMS Pogue is.

We had to wait a couple days for adequate weather, but John B decided today was the day and woke everyone up at the ass crack of dawn to set out on the water, seeing as we need to travel about thirty miles out. So, after an unpleasantly cold shower and a small argument with JJ about me not putting another bandaid on my cheek, here I am – so far out in the ocean that I can no longer see the coast. I've never been this far out before, and it's a little scary being surrounded by nothing but empty horizons for as far as the eye can see, but I'm still in awe of the beauty the nothingness holds.

My fingertips graze over the pearls around my neck as I lean over the bow, watching as the early morning sunlight dances on the soft waves, wishing my mom were here to see it too. The ocean spray mists over my face as the boat rips through the surface of the water, and excitement swells in my chest, a giddy smile spreading across my lips.

God, the sea makes me feel so alive.

"Alright, JJ. Pin it here," my brother calls out.

"Roger that! X marks the spot," the blond boy replies, and I turn to find him watching me with a small smile as he allows the engine to go idle. He doesn't bother looking away once he's caught staring. Instead he winks at me, causing my cheeks to flush red.

I make my way around to the back of the boat where the other three Pogues have been getting everything ready the whole ride out. I haven't been any help, too entranced by the sea to do something as trivial as work. Slipping past them, I join JJ in the cockpit. I snatch his gray and red cap from off of his head and place it on my own, my puffy curls spilling out from under it. "Ready to get rich, Blondie?"

"You know it." He grins widely. His eyes scan from his hat on my head down to his tan Quicksilver t-shirt that seems to swallow me whole, dangling past the hem of my denim shorts and drooping loosely over my shoulders, revealing the lacy white straps of my bralette. "I like when you wear my stuff," he confesses, slapping the bill of the hat down over my eyes. "Looks better on you."