006 dingy yellow keychain

DINGY YELLOW KEYCHAIN
❝ it doesn't get more misogynistic than that. ❞

 ❞

Traversing deeper and deeper through the marsh maze, our original plan of fishing seems to have slipped into the back of our minds as we just enjoy each other's company

Traversing deeper and deeper through the marsh maze, our original plan of fishing seems to have slipped into the back of our minds as we just enjoy each other's company. That's all any of us ever needs to be happy – a crappy old boat under the sun, a few ice cold beers, and each other.

Pope switches places with John B, taking the wheel so the other two boys can compete to see who can chug the bitter contents of their bottles faster. And Kie and I sit hip to hip along the side of the boat, whispering and giggling amongst ourselves about all the girly things we only ever speak about with one another.

The warm summer air has only grown more humid as the sun continues to rise higher in the sky, and I can feel my skin getting damp from a mixture of my own sweat and the moisture that's lingering in the thick, salty air. Not being able to bare the heat with my heavy mane of hair sitting on my neck, I use the hair tie on my wrist to pull my curls back into a puffy ponytail, allowing the breeze to cool my face and neck.

While the rest of us are all on our second or third beers, Pope just took a sip of his first as he looks to me and asks, "So how was dinner with the Camerons?"

The other two boys immediately stop their horseplay to look at me, and I can feel Kie stiffen at my side. I'm sure everyone's curious of the outcome of the dinner party I was forced to attend the other night.

I throw my head back in exasperation at the mention of the event. "Hated every second of it." Turning to the girl beside me, I speak with annoyance dripping from my every word, "Oh, and sorry, Kie, but we can't go to Midsummers together anymore."

"What? Why?"

In the same aggravated tone, I continue on, "Because I'm going with Rafe." Looking around at the group's reactions, I notice JJ swallow thickly at my words, his ocean blue eyes becoming dark like the raging sea I surfed during the storm yesterday.