4. November 5th 1994 Pt. 1

A/N:

>>>>> = Timeskip
<<<<< = Flashback
*=*=*=*=* = Next Scene

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*

Niyla POV:

The sunrise shrunk shadows back into the Forbidden Forest; the sky was still very dim, the clouds like luxury upholstery.— Inviting and rich in alluring blue. The wind was winter cold, though it was still autumn; I inhaled deeply. Almost seduced by its smooth taste. I would surely get into trouble if I were found out so early, it would be too obvious I was outside the grounds of the castle long before the hour allowed. But because of the solace I found running in my Dire Wolf form, I chose to ignore the rule.

I materialize through the tree line, my silhouette probably barely visible from any of the castle's windows. I trekked across the large sloping yard and into a side corridor, my dormitory was nearly silent except for the rhythmic breathing of the others, in rem sleep. After I was dressed for the day, I gathered the things I would need for today's lessons and pushed through the heavy doors of the library. I found a fairly concealed spot in the enormous room; my fingers wrapped around a book.

I only wanted to distract myself until the day was over. I folded the paperback book in half, my eyes immersed in the stiff letters across the pages.— A muggle story about two people who were born sick. Plagued with the worry of whether or not they'll live long enough for each other. I found it intriguing that muggles would spend their time reading such irrelevant things; was there a point in wasting hours on such fiction? Of course, what did I know? Perhaps they allow themselves to fall into the world of romance novels for the same reason I break the rules and sneak into the Forbidden Forest.— To escape reality for just a moment to compose ourselves. Though, sometimes it feels like something weighs me down when I return; as if I preferred if I didn't come back at all.

I bruised the spine just a bit more as I continued to read the next chapter. I was sure Professor Burbage wouldn't notice, considering its pages were age-yellow and a few of them were missing. I was in awe of the passion the characters felt for each other, one becoming so consumed with anger when the other disappeared. Unsure if they'd come back alive or if their terminal illness would take them before they had the chance to have a proper goodbye. How sad I felt for the imaginary people, how right it was for the person to feel such anguish.

After a lengthy half hour, I finally looked up from the book; toward one of the windows. I had a disoriented sensation as I watched the dust flitting across the beams of sunlight that pierced through the glass. I pulled my school bag from where it hung on the backrest of my chair, swapping the muggle book for my Advanced Potion-Making copy. I opened the book at random, landing on The Invigoration Draught: a potion that presumably boosted the drinker's energy. I sighed, thinking I could use a sip of that. I flipped swiftly through the pages until my fingertips caught on the back cover. Written in the same familiar almost elegant scribble was: This Book is the Property of the Half-Blood Prince. Before I could stress about how I hadn't noticed the words until now and how it seemed I'd seen the same writing pattern outside the book somewhere; the musical tone of the bell to signal breakfast had begun, sound.

The Great Hall was at ease, still practically empty as I entered through the large oak doors. I sipped on a goblet filled with orange juice as I read the ingredients to a potion in my school book. Not surprised at the disappointment I felt when I remembered, I didn't have Advanced Potions today. I slipped the book back into my school bag at that realization, just as Draco approached the space to my right.

"Happy Birthday, Darling," he placed a small violet box on the table in front of me as he sat.

I wrinkled my nose with disapproval. "You know I didn't want you to get me anything."