Ch 3

"Oh.....you didn't need to do this Lady Beneviento."

"Nonsense Codrin......I don't you even ate anything this morning."

Codrin sat at the small dinner table in the kitchen, wearing his newly cleaned clothes except for his hat and mask, the former was currently on the table. Donna Beneviento had just finished making two plates of eggs and bacon, sitting across from the young man. Her veil had been lifted, revealing her smooth jaw and cute button nose along with a pair of soft pink lips. The rest of her face remained concealed however, lady Beneviento didn't like showing anyone her face at all. Angie currently sat on Codrin's lap and stared at the food, knowing she couldn't eat the food. The doll instead grabbed his hat and put it on her head, covering her entire face with it as she let out a small gasp. Codrin reluctantly gave in and started eating, using the small silverware to tear apart the eggs.

"Thank you for delivering the letter to me......" Beneviento hummed as she watched him eat, the lady only touching her food with her fork as she watched the man devour his meal. Unlike her who ate with delicate manners, Codrin ate like a the stereotypical man, hunching down to eat the food as if someone was going to steal it. She gave a small smirk that Codrin couldn't see. ".....How many did you hunt last night? It must've been a lot if you look tired...."

"Oh.......I uh.......hang on." Codrin spoke up with food in his mouth before stopping to swallow. He then grabbed the cup of coffee in front of him and took a long sip before letting out a deep sigh. "Twenty.....I think. I stayed up all night isolating a small group away from the pack. Turned out well since I'm alive and they're dead."

"Hm.....if you need to sleep you can always rest here." Beneviento offered as she took a small bite of her eggs. Codrin raised an eyebrow and looked her way, causing the Lady to look down at her food. "You just look so tired.....you can sleep on my bed if you want.....I have work to do for Mother Miranda anyways....."

"N-no thanks....I have a lot of chores that need to be done." Codrin chuckled as looked at the lady, ignoring the small punch to the stomach that Angie gave him. "Is your work related to the letter? Maybe I could help when I get done with my chores?"

"No....no you can't help with it." Donna spoke up as she reached for her cup of milk and took a small sip. Codrin gave a small frown before it disappeared. Donna gave a small smile when she sat her cup down. "But thank you Codrin......you've always been one of the good ones, coming up here to speak with me I mean."

Codrin gave a light smile on return as Donna went back to eating. Lady Donna Beneviento was one of the Lords who overlooked the village, chosen and adopted by Mother Miranda as her daughter. Donna was feared like the other lords by the Villagers, who dared not to upset their masters. One can only imagine what horrors Donna and Angie could inflict on someone, but Codrin couldn't understand why she was feared, besides the murderous doll currently sitting in his lap. Donna had been very shy when they first met, instead letting Angie do the talking for her. When he started to be sent on errands too her house he soon started to get too know her more and they soon became friends. Maybe it was her shy, mouse like demeanor that kept drawing him towards her, driven by an instinct every man has to protect something smaller than himself. He soon found himself smitten with her and was ashamed of himself for being so, for she was a lord and he a peasant. Sure, the lords were known to take people they fancy, but that was rare and even then the person they fancied was never seen again. There wasn't any laws saying he couldn't try to court Lady Beneviento however, so if he wanted to he could absolutely try.......if the Hag was so keen on getting him to marry, he'd happily tell her Donna was his option, if he wasn't so damn shy at admitting it. No.....he'd bring shame to Donna's noble name and honor, he couldn't tarnish that for her as well.