13

Weeks later, the kids were back at school, and our routine settled into a rhythm. Anele would call every day, sometimes joining us for dinner virtually. Mr. Makinana's leg had healed, though he still experienced pain in unfavorable weather conditions. One evening, during our virtual dinner, Anele jokingly claimed to have cooked his meal, but it was apparent he had ordered it. We prayed and chatted, with me feeling a bit shy eating while he watched through the camera.

Life brought unexpected opportunities, and I received a call for a teaching interview in King Williams Town for a private school. Unfortunately, I missed another interview due to picking up the kids. Sandra expressed frustration, offering help if I had informed her earlier. In the following months, I applied for a teaching position in Johannesburg at a private school in Northwold. Surprisingly, they swiftly interviewed me and offered me the job to teach English for the intermediate phase.

Upon receiving the letter of employment, emotions overwhelmed me, realizing I would have to leave the kids. In secret, I called Anele that night, seeking guidance on what would happen if I were to get a job. Anele, understanding the situation, assured me that I could leave as per our previous discussions and the terms of my contract.

In a vulnerable moment, Anele expressed his conflicting emotions, acknowledging the invaluable role I played in his family. I sensed his sincerity and found myself torn between the joy of securing a job and the sadness of leaving the family I had come to care for deeply. Unsure of the future, we both grappled with the impending changes, and I couldn't bring myself to sign the employment letter. After crying and praying, I sent an email explaining my situation, expressing my concern for the kids' well-being and the challenges of moving at that moment.

The lady I was corresponding with responded, expressing gratitude for my emails. However, she noted that they were unaware of me having children and inquired if I had applied for them. I clarified that I hadn't, realizing that my decision to decline the job offer might have unintended consequences. Fearing potential repercussions, I decided to halt further job applications, resigned to the role of being a nanny and helper to the widower, caring for the children and embracing the love that blossomed with each passing day.

Continuing to write and submit my manuscripts, I held onto the hope that the Holy Spirit would guide me to a breakthrough without needing to make significant sacrifices. However, what took me by surprise was encountering Anele that evening.

While I was having a good time with Akha and Nelisa after supper, a bell rang at the gate. I made my way to the door, and Liyema was upstairs, probably deep in conversation with his buddies from the winter holidays. As I swung open the front door, there was Anele, next to a car he must have hired. It was getting late, but the sun still lingered, a merciful touch from the last days of spring. I opened the gates and the garage—big enough for four cars but only housing two. I secured the door since Anele would be entering through the garage, leading to the kitchen.

"Molweni," he greeted, catching me off guard. The kids rushed to hug him, and while they caught up, I called Liyema. After a chat in the living room, I prepared some leftovers for him, and as I served, he smiled and thanked me. Wondering why he hadn't mentioned his visit, I retreated to my bedroom, pondering my thoughts. A knock came, and I found Anele holding a sleeping Nelisa. I gently put Nelisa to bed, and Anele spoke, "We need to talk."

I nodded and followed him to the living room, where the kids had likely already dozed off. Unexpectedly, he asked, "How are you?" I thought he'd dive straight into the point, but instead, he said, "I know what you did, and I'm here to correct it. You had an opportunity to work for the best schools in the country. I don't understand why you would reject that."

Caught off guard, I responded, "Well, I'm not ready." The truth spilled out, "I have other commitments." Anele's tone turned firm, "I'm here to change that. I'll hire someone, and you can stay here, help them understand. But come January, you're going to Johannesburg for the job you applied for because I know you will regret this."