8

Arriving at O.R. Tambo International Airport after a brief flight, a sense of relief washed over me. Despite the brevity, the journey felt like an eternity, but the anxiety pills I purchased played their part in calming my nerves. Descending the escalator, I anxiously scanned the crowd for Anele, unaware of his height or appearance. Determined, I navigated through the people, seeking a seat to sort out my phone's network. Glancing at my screen, I suddenly sensed someone walking beside me. Coming to a halt, I looked up to find a tall gentleman in a sharp grey suit. His face seemed familiar, and in person, he appeared even more attractive. Caught in a moment of admiration, I couldn't help but stare, and the smirk on his face suggested he relished the attention. Hastily shifting my focus back to my phone, I realized the person I was about to call was right beside me. Glancing around, I hoped to spot the children around.

He must have sensed my confusion, saying, "I left them; they don't even know you're coming. I wanted to surprise them if that's okay with you." I nodded in understanding, and he picked up my bag as we silently walked to his car. During the car ride, neither of us spoke, and I realized I hadn't uttered a word since we met. My mind raced, questioning why I agreed to be there and contemplating what awaited me. Communication with the guy beside me seemed challenging.

It seemed fine with him, but as I chose to sit in the back, he chuckled, hinting I might be breaking some doing something unusual. On my end, I felt like an intruder; the passenger seat seemed reserved for someone else. Respecting my place I sat there, and sent a text to my sisters, letting them know I arrived safely. Staring out of the window in the nighttime, I marveled at the city's beauty.

Lost in my thoughts, I barely registered when the car arrived at the prestigious estate. Tall gates, constructed from stone and substantial steel bars, greeted us. A security guard area with mirrored windows indicated the exclusivity of the place. We drove past the gates, and the car continued on, taking me further into the estate. I admired the impeccably structured buildings that lined the route.

Exiting the car, he began, "I was thinking we surprise them tomorrow morning since they're probably asleep now." Considering his suggestion, I replied, "It's okay," following him from the garage to the kitchen. As we walked, he detailed the room arrangements, "My room is upstairs with Liyema's and Akha, who shares with Nelisa. Then, there's a room with no one, and we have two more bedrooms downstairs." Nodding in understanding, he guided me down the hall and pointed to the room where I would be staying. "The other one is used by my parents," he explained.

He stood by the door as I placed my bag on the bed, surveying the spacious room with a double-size bed, gleaming dark wood furniture, including a polished headboard, side tables, and a dresser. Spotting a door in the corner, I turned to bid him good night. However, as soon as I looked at him leaning on the doorframe, a wave of emotion swept over me. Trying to conceal it, I managed a good night and attempted to close the door. "Good night, Unako," he said, and hearing my name on his lips stirred something inside me. Locking the door, I leaned against it, taking a deep breath. Something was amiss; I needed help. After standing there for a while, I decided to pray before attempting to sleep, a task made challenging by persistent thoughts.

If I was falling for Anele, I knew I was in deep trouble. According to Sandra, Anele didn't date, and the story behind the mother of his children involved a tragic passing during the pandemic after giving birth to Nelisa. Hearing about this initially elicited empathy, especially for the strong little boy growing up without both parents. I hoped Anele would realise that his children needed him.

The next morning, my hunger got the best of me, prompting an early rise. In the kitchen, I prepared oatmeal and sat down to eat. Opting for oatmeal instead of a quicker option like cornflakes, I considered the kids' fondness for a taste of home, reminiscent of what they enjoyed back in East London.

As I neared the end of my meal, the sounds of kids upstairs caught my attention. Apparently, Nelisa had wet Akhanani's bed. Upon our initial meeting, he had a mat on his bed to prevent it from getting wet. Initially, I had to wash his bedsheets and blanket until he began sleeping with me. Waking him up regularly during the first week, I made sure he didn't consume much liquid late at night, which lessened trips to the bathroom. Managing his fluid intake seemed crucial, as it appeared they allowed him to drink quite a bit.

Quietly finishing my meal, I placed the bowl in the sink and hurried to my assigned room to take cover. Sending a text to Anele yielded no response, so I decided to call him. He hummed in acknowledgment, and I urged him to wake up and join us downstairs. "The kids are up, and I just cooked a pot of oatmeal. It would be strange for you to look like you just woke up," I explained. His silence lingered before he responded, "I heard you." Realizing he might not be a morning person, I muttered to myself while heading to my bag to change into something different.

Hearing the noise drawing nearer, indicating the kids were downstairs, I sent another message to Anele. He responded, mentioning that he had already dished up for the kids and himself, and they were currently eating. After a moment, he informed me, "You can come out." Bracing myself, I took a deep breath and quietly exited the room, tiptoeing down the hallway towards the kitchen. Anele's back was facing me as he tried to shield my view from the kitchen island where they all sat.

Listening to their conversation, Anele announced, "Guys, I have a surprise for you!" Liyema's response seemed less enthusiastic, with some mumbling. Unexpectedly, Nelisa piped up, saying, "Nanako." The room fell silent, and even I was taken aback. Nelisa repeated, "Nanako smell," and I could sense him sniffing. To prevent the surprise from being spoiled, I made a loud noise and declared, "Surprise!" Startled, they all got up. Anele put Nelisa down from the stool, and he and his sister rushed over to me.

I hugged them, smiling, and scooped up Nelisa, showering him with kisses. When I looked up, everyone was staring at me. "Well, this is a surprise indeed," Liyema remarked, confusion evident on his face. Raising my brow, I couldn't recall any issues before he left.

"I thought you were cleaning for your special guest," Liyema directed his question to his father, Anele, who looked at him as if questioning where he got that idea. His son mumbled again, and I overheard him say, "You cleaned the room as soon as we came here last night like it was dirty, then..." He didn't finish as his father interjected, "Because the cleaner comes after three days, and the room hasn't been cleaned in two weeks, as per my order." Anele left no room for further inquiry.

Nelisa, still in my arms, asked his sister, "What a guetht?" suppressing my laughter as my mind processed. "A visitor," she replied, taking him upstairs, saying, "Let's go take a bath." I hugged Liyema, who smiled and hugged me back. "I don't even understand why you looked confused. It's not like I wouldn't bring someone home," his son countered. "Not while we are here," Anele responded from the sink. "Why? This is my house; I can do as I please," Liyema mumbled again. "I guess it's your house, but I think I'll stay in East London next holiday." Their argument unsettled me; this was a time for them to bond, not fight.

"Liyema, could you check up on the two upstairs?" I interjected before Anele could say something that might escalate the situation. Anele shot me a death stare as his son headed towards the staircase.

I took my phone, playing a playlist of gospel music and prayers, and began washing the dishes as he stood fuming next to me. I refused to engage in a conversation that wasn't my place. What bothered me was his intrusion into his children's lives. I was prepared to stand my ground; if he came for me, I would leave him there, locking myself in my room and advising Liyema to do the same.

He huffed as I returned the milk to the fridge, and his footsteps moved away. Sighing, I turned around to find him still looking at me from the staircase. He shook his head and went upstairs. I couldn't decipher if he was angry or not, and I wasn't ready to find out.