16- Yor's Kitchen

Lately, Yor has been coming home late. Neither of us dig deeply into the other's private life, so I don't usually ask questions.

Loid says as he sits on the sofa in the living room of his apartment, reading a book.

"Papa, is it dinner time yet?" Anya asks as she plays with Bond.

"Once Yor gets home" Loid says as he looks at Anya.

"Bond, tell me what we're having for dinner tonight!" Anya whispers in Bond's ear.

"I'm home" Yor says as she opens the door to the apartment, walking inside.

A gloomy, somber expression, and... several cuts all over her hands.

Loid says as he studies Yor's expression and figure.

"Welcome home, Mama!" Anya says as she runs over to Yor.

"Why, thank you, Miss Anya" Yor says as she looks at Anya.

"Welcome home" Loid says as he walks over, "should we start dinner?".

"Oh... I'm not hungry, so you two can go ahead and eat" Yor says with a smile.

"Alright" Loid says as Yor walks past him.

Yor, are you...

Loid asks as he watches Yor slip into her room. Anya looks up at Loid when Bond's ears flick, symbolising he's ready for Anya to read his mind. Anya looks at Bond as she reads his mind, seeing a vision of Yor crying in her mind.

Mama's going to cry? But why?

Anya asks as she looks at the door of Yor's room. Inside Yor's room, Yor doesn't even bother to turn the lights on as she puts her handbag down on the chair near her door, alongside her coat as she looks at her cut up hands. She puts her hands to her face as she takes a deep breath.

If I fail this, I... I might lose those two.

Yor says as she starts to cry.

--- the next day, at Eden College ---

"Great work today. That will be all for today's meeting" the headmaster says as he stands up from the desk, walking off.

"Thank you, sir!" the Imperial Scholars say together as they bow to the headmaster who shuts the door of the room.

"Hey, Isabelle. Do you want to go out for a meal after today?" Sophie, one of Isabelle's friends, asks as she walks over to Isabelle.

"Er... nah, I'm good" Isabelle says as she puts her coat on and throws her bag over her shoulder, "I'm studying with Demetrius after school today".

"You two are always hanging around each other. Are you sure you're not going to get together at some point?" Jasmine, another of Isabelle's friends asks as she nudges Isabelle's arm.

"As if. Demetrius is just a close friend of mine. Besides, there's someone else I like" Isabelle says as she walks away from the two of them.

"You can't just leave us in the dark!" Sophie says, offended that her friend won't share her secret crush.

Demetrius listens from the other side of the room as he looks down, saddened by the fact that Isabelle has another in her heart.

"Demetrius, are you ready to head to mine? Anya's getting the bus back today, so we can go quickly grab a coffee from that café you really like" Isabelle says as she walks over to Demetrius.

"Sure" Demetrius says with a small smile as the two of them leave the room.

--- in the apartment complex ---