LIV. The Realm of Grief

Start from the beginning

"You doing good?" Esperanza inquires, breaking the silence, handing back the half-empty bottle.

Freya nods, wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, a subtle grin playing on her lips. "Yeah, thanks for the water, Esperanza," she expresses, the words carrying a depth of appreciation for the small but meaningful gesture from her.

They share a prolonged moment of silent connection, their smiles mirroring the unspoken understanding between them. The intensity of their eye contact seems to create an invisible bond, neither willing to break the enchanting gaze. Eventually, Esperanza succumbs to a shy demeanor, looking away and scratching the back of her head.

"Do you need anything else?" Esperanza mumbles, her gaze avoiding Freya's, who finds amusement in the woman's bashfulness.

Freya lets out a light chuckle, gracefully rising from the ground and wiping her hands on her trousers. "That depends."

Esperanza furrows her brow. "On what?"

"If you want to have dinner at my house after we're finished with this," Freya suggests, her smile widening at the evident surprise in Esperanza's eyes. The shock is palpable, and Esperanza appears on the verge of choking on air, desperately avoiding any potential embarrassment.

"At—at your house?" Esperanza stammers, her disbelief resonating in her voice.

Freya maintains her composure, an air of casual confidence surrounding her. "That's what I said."

Esperanza, caught off guard by Freya's unexpected invitation, stammers through her response, the nodding of her head seemingly in sync with her uncertain words. "Yea-yeah. Sure! Yeah, that sounds good," she finally manages to articulate, albeit with a touch of awkwardness, "I'd love to."

"I'll come pick you up. Wear your best clothes." Her departure is marked by a nonchalant turn on her heel, striding away to secure additional supplies for the ongoing wall construction.

"Yeah, of course, clothes, I will," she calls out, a subtle hint of eagerness coloring her voice. As Freya pivots slightly to cast a brief backward glance, Esperanza waves with a grin, "Yeah, see ya."

Esperanza's gaze remains fixed on Freya's retreating figure, her lips still curved in a contented smile. She infectious warmth of the moment doesn't go unnoticed by Carl and Madeleine, who share a lighthearted laugh from their vantage point. Observing Esperanza's radiant demeanor, they exchange knowing glances as the girl walks away, her cheeks adorned with a rosy blush that hints at the lingering thrill of the unexpected encounter.

Carl tilts his head, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "Can we tease her about it?"

Madeleine grins, her eyes lighting up. "Hell yeah!"

Amidst the banter, Madeleine's attention shifts, catching sight of a tense scene unfold—Glenn dragging Tara away from Nicholas, the girl locked in a heated argument. Maggie intervenes, attempting to calm the situation, raising suspicions in Madeleine's mind about the events that transpired during her absence.

"What is it, Mads?" Carl inquires, his curiosity piqued by the look in her eyes.

"Son of a bitch," Madeleine growls, a sudden surge of anger coursing through her when she pieces it together.

Without a word, she retrieves a knife from her waist and strides purposefully toward Nicholas. Carl and Sasha call out to her, their voices fading into the background as the red haze of rage blinds her to everything else. Meanwhile, Rick and Carol, engaged in conversation, notice the abrupt shift in Madeleine's demeanor and halt their discussion to witness the unfolding drama.