CHAPTER 15 : Saving the world on a Happy Dragon

Start from the beginning

The dragon gave a little jerk of his head to the side and a black liquid, motor oil, no doubt, or at least one had to hope it was nothing more serious, escaped his ear and sprayed Leo, who replied :

"There are just a few minor adjustments to be made."

"But how did you survive..." Nyssa was still staring fearfully at the metal creature. "I mean... it spits fire..."

"I'm a fast one," said Leo. "And I'm lucky. So, am I in this quest, or what ?"

Jason scratched his head, while Earlana studied the machine, getting closer to them. She was the one to speak, her voice raspier than usual.

"You called him Festus ? You know that in Latin, Festus means Happy ? You want us to go off and save the world on the back of Happy Dragon ?"

The interested party fidgeted and flapped his wings, making the Latina frown a bit, and look at the son of Hephaestus with a raised eyebrow.

"There's your answer, man," said Leo, "it's yes ! Now, guys, I'd say let's hit the road. I've already picked up some gear in the... uh, in the woods. All these people with swords, it's getting on Festus' nerves."

Jason frowned. "But we haven't planned anything yet. We can't..."

"Okay, no problem... But, at least, give me two minutes to get dressed, guys." Earlana spoke, rolling her eyes making the campers realize what she was wearing. Some blushed like crazy, others turned around. And Piper saw a tall burly girl from Cabin Five motioning to the Latina to follow her, which she did.

"Go ahead Earlana," Annabeth nodded at the taller girl disappearing with their quest member. She was the only one who didn't seem worried at all. She wore a sad, melancholy expression, as if this moment brought back a happier time in her memory. "You've only got three days left until the solstice, Jason, and you should never keep an angry dragon waiting. His presence can only be a good omen. Once she comes back, go !"

Jason nodded, the frown on his face still visible. Then he turned to Piper and smiled.

"Are you ready, partner ?"

Piper looked at the dragon's bronze wings, gleaming against the blue sky, and his claws that could rip her to shreds, and then towards the direction where Earlana had disappeared.

"You bet I'm ready !"

🜃🜃🜃🜃🜃🜃

Clarisse had led Earlana back into Cabin Five and shut the door loudly. Ares' daughter went rummaging through some wardrobe before throwing some clothes at the Latina who just stood there, weapon long turned back into a ring.

"You're gonna need a backpack," Earlana grabbed one as it flew towards her face, a small smile at Clarisse's antics. "some spare clothes," said clothes were also thrown in her direction. "Get dressed will you and then I'll pack it for you in the meantime."

"You would do that ? That's so sweet of you, Clarisse !" Earlana teased the older girl, with a fake sweet tone, chuckling.

A pair of black cargo pants was thrown to her face after this comment, making her choke on her laughter. Nonetheless she decided to listen to the older girl, because she knew that her and Jason didn't have much time for the quest. And time was of essence here.

Once she was properly dressed, properly being overstatement : A red sleeveless shirt, the black cargo pants, a pair of black combat boots, and a black sweatshirt ; Clarisse threw her the bag she had packed, explaining quickly everything that was inside.

"Nectar, and Ambrosia for emergencies, water, some rations, spare clothes, spare weapons..."

"Hold up, spare weapons ?" Earlana looked at Clarisse with a raised eyebrow. "I got my sword, my staff and a shield, I don't need more. You don't have to worry."

"I do not worry. You never have too many weapons... I slipped two daggers, a silver one and another in celestial bronze. You might need them."

"Thanks Clarisse. You're right, you never have too many weapons... When I come back, you'll have your rematch in the Arena."

At that the daughter of Ares laughed and pushed the younger girl out of the Cabin. Both of them needed to leave as quickly as possible, for different reasons.

"Good luck for the quest, Earlana."

"Good luck to you and Annabeth in searching for Percy."

🜃🜃🜃🜃🜃🜃

Flying on the back of a dragon was a sensation of extraordinary intensity. The air at altitude was frigid, but the dragon's carapace produced such warmth that they felt as if they were traveling in a protective bubble. The ultimate heating seat. What's more, the dragon's back was grooved to form ultra-modern, and ultra-comfortable saddles. Leo showed them how to plant their feet between the scales as if in stirrups, and how to use the leather safety harnesses cleverly concealed under the metal shell. They were seated in single file, Leo at the head, then Earlana, Piper in the middle, Jason last, and Piper felt Jason's as well as Earlana's proximity very strongly, one in front and the other behind her. She would have liked Jason to hold onto her, to wrap his arms around her waist, perhaps, but alas, he refrained.

Léo guided the dragon through the sky, handling the reins with ease, as if he'd been doing it all his life. The metal wings worked like a charm, and the Long Island coastline soon dwindled to a misty line behind them. They flew over Connecticut and soared through the gray clouds.

Leo turned back to them, smiling:

"This is cool, isn't it ?"

"What if we get spotted ?" asked Piper.

"The Mist conceals us," said Earlana. It prevents mortals from seeing creatures or magical devices. If they spot us, they'll probably mistake us for a small plane."

Piper glanced over at the Latina seated before her.

"Are you sure ?"

"Actually no," admitted Jason, who was following the conversation.

Piper noticed that he was clutching a photo in his hand of a brunette with spiky hair. She gave him a questioning look, but he blushed and put the photo back in his pocket.

"We're holding a good average," he said. "We should get there before dark."

Piper wondered who the girl in the photo was, but she didn't want to ask, and if Jason didn't tell her on his own, it wasn't a good sign. Had he remembered something from his life before ? Was it the picture of his real girlfriend ?

Stop it, she told herself. You're just going to hurt yourself.

She opted for a less risky question. "Where are we going ?"

"To find the god of the North Wind," Jason said.

"And track down some storm spirits," Earlana quipped, with a smirk.