Chapter Thirty-Six

September rolled into October and the autumn chill covered National City in a permanent drizzle, although that sometimes wasn't enough to dispel the odd humidity, even with overcast skies. Becca took business trips and worked long weeks, pushing through each day with anxious determination. 

One day closer, one week closer, another month closer. Until it was almost five months until Freen would be home, and October crept to an end.

Her birthday came too quickly for her liking, and felt almost laughable that twenty- five felt too young for how she felt inside. 

She hadn't had any thoughts about the day beyond the flight to Midvale at lunchtime, a rare gift to herself to even take that much time off for what was essentially a forgettable day, and so, Becca was making up for lost time at the office when the clock ticked over to midnight. 

If it wasn't for the sound of her phone vibrating on the desk, amidst piles of paperwork and empty coffee cups, Becca wouldn't have even noticed.

Picking up her phone, she frowned down at Freen's name on the screen, confused about why she would be calling her at that time. 

It would've been just before noon in Afghanistan, while Freen would have still been working, but Becca didn't question it as she answered, her face already softening with a smile.

"Happy birthday!"

The loudness of Freen's voice in the stillness of the office was almost deafening in her ear, and a surprised laugh escaped Becca before she could even stop herself. 

Drawing the phone away from her ear, she winced faintly and then glanced at the time before pressing it back. There was a warm glow in her chest that Freen had called dead on midnight, and Becca closed her eyes as she slumped behind her desk.

"Thanks," she murmured, "I didn't expect to hear from you until later."

"Well, I couldn't wait that long to talk to you. Not on your birthday. I can't stay long though; I might get in trouble. I just had to call you though."

Making a choked sound of surprise as her eyebrows raised, Becca chuckled softly, "Freen Sarocha, are you breaking the rules right now?"

"For you, it's worth it. I'm trying to be sneaky though, but it's a bit loud."

"Mm, I can hear voices in the background. You better keep an eye out for your Sergeant or you'll find yourself tied to the front of a tank for target practice, or whatever morbid punishments they have over there."

Freen laughed quietly, the sound faintly muffled, and she sighed with amusement before replying. 

"I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday and tell you that your gift won't be there until tonight. I thought it'd be better to send it to my mom's, but hopefully you'll get it before I speak to you later. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if you like it."

"If it's off you, I love it already," Becca earnestly murmured.

"I hope so, but... anyway, you should go to bed and I have to go. What time are you leaving?"

"Twelve-thirty. I've still got some paperwork--"

"Work? Come on, not on your birthday. Take a break!"

Becca snorted as her lips curved with a smile, "it's just my birthday, Freen. The whole world doesn't revolve around me, sadly. Don't worry, it's from home so no chances of getting shot, and I'm going to bed soon anyway; Mind and Nam have conned me into breakfast with them."