𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Venetia, Farleigh and Felix all went out to the field later on that day to sunbathe. Every year I got out of going with them. I never felt comfortable completely undressing in front of Felix in that way. Sure, I can do it in a bar in front of complete strangers, or in front of a drunken guy I just met, maybe even a girl or two if she's hot. But never Felix.

I was sitting, enjoying the time by myself reading in the library when Oliver came in. I had set my book down and looked up.

"Ollie, for some reason you just keep interrupting my alone time. Y'know, if I didn't know any better, I'd think you were doing it on purpose." I joked. I crossed my legs over myself and sipped my drink, which was a mimosa.

Elspeth manners. We all pick them up.

"I'm-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to-"

"I'm kidding." I cut him off. He nodded his head, his hand in his pockets.

"Right. I was looking for everyone. They seemed to disappear."

"They're out sunbathing in the field."

"Not your thing?"

I was curious about Oliver.

"No. Not really."

He walked over to the window on the other end of the library. I sipped on my drink again, watching and observing. He seemed awkward; but he also seemed like he shouldn't be.

"How did you two meet?" I wondered, thinking out loud. Oliver turned to look at me.

"You and Felix." I explained.

"Oh, right. He, uh, we met in school. At Oxford. He really helped me through a tough time."

I nodded my head. I set my drink down on the small table in front of me, remembering when Elspeth was asking him questions in the library before.

"Parents dying; probably the worst and best thing that's ever happened to me." I said. I walked near where Oliver was standing.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Mine weren't really..."

I drowned out my sentence. I didn't want to pour my heart out to a boy I'm only just meeting. Bashing my mom and dad wasn't really my thing.

"We didn't get along." I said, simply.

"And you're American. You and Farleigh."

"Yeah. We're not really pure blood Cattans." I said. Then, I knew I should clarify.

"Well, Farleigh is. He's the cousin. But they just kind of..took me in I guess. After what happened to my Mom and Dad. I mean, I knew them before. Me and Felix met at sendaway school. The rest is history."

I felt like Oliver was confused, but he didn't seem too confused to ask about it.

"They're funny like that. Just taking people in, whoever they feel fit. Felix told me his mum lets her friends stay for months at a time. Is that why Pamela's here?" He started up conversation.

I squinted my eyes. I haven't known anyone, myself nor others, to think of the Cattans this way, "just taking people in". It almost sounded like he was talking about them in a negative, daunting tone. They were simply friendly people helping friends.

"Yeah. But, um...I've never thought of it that way."

I crossed my arms and chuckled, Oliver looking at me and slightly smiling. We were both now leaning on the windowsill, his arms crossed as well as he shrugged toward me.

"I feel like me and you are a lot alike, Madelyn." He said. His tone changed, but not in a bad way. Not in a way that threw me off on is character, only made me want to know more.

I turned and looked back outside, only seeing the top of Venetia's book over the grass and flowers. It looked like Harry Potter.

There was no way I could pick up my reading after me and Oliver's conversation, and my drink was almost done.

"If you're going to join them..."

I picked myself off of the windowsill grabbed my book, walking to leave the library. I looked
over my shoulder standing in the doorway, seeing Oliver looking me up and down.

I knew he had no idea they were nude. Otherwise, he'd have no interest to go.

"...better wear your smallest shorts." I said, unable to hide my smile.

I thought about going out there, just to see the look on his face when they told him to drop his pants.