𝔗𝔴𝔬

I pulled into the great gates of Saltburn, parking my car in a rush to get out. I had left my bags there and the keys in the engine, knowing someone would be quick to get it for me.

I helped myself to open the front doors, two butlers and Duncan standing there. The butlers looked at me and went out to carry my bags in and park the car. I must've startled him, as my presence to Duncan made his eyes grow big.

"Ms. O'Claire. You're..."

I watched Duncan glance down at his watch. I rolled my eyes, though, not wanting the lecture of my arrival time.

"I know I'm a little late..."

"Two hours."

"My deepest apologies, Duncan. Traffic was a nightmare."

I began walking away from him before he could respond. Duncan wasn't really the friendly type of butler I saw in movies. He didn't ever try to connect with me or talk to me like the others at the estate. Instead, he would always try to be intimidating or catch me, Venetia or Felix doing something wrong so he could report it to the parents.

Ignoring Duncan's sigh, I continued venturing in the house in search of everyone. Saltburn smelled the same, looked the same, felt the same as I last left it.

Especially when I turned the corner and saw Venetia standing there. Her back was turned toward me, and her blonde hair gave it away that it was her.

I inched in the room silently.

"Long time no see." I said. I chuckled as Vee jumped from surprise and turned around. Like Duncan, her eyes got wide.

"Madelyn! Mum!" She called for Elspeth and gave me a hug so tight I couldn't breathe. Soon enough, Eslpeth and Sir James sauntered into the room.

"Madelyn! When did you get here?" James asked me as we all began hugging. I saw Elspeth playfully role her eyes, a smile plastered on her lips.

"Two hours late, as per usual. How's Saint Martha's?" She asked. I watched as she turned around to one of the maids and held up her drink, implying her to grab me one.

"It's alright."

"I doubt your learning anything. Too busy partying away with those private school boys." I felt Venetia nudge my side.

"God, I should've went to uni." She mumbled, sighing and dramatically falling onto a loveseat behind us.

"Well, she better not be!" James said.

"Relax, darling. The poor girl is fresh out of a relationship. Besides..don't you remember university?" Elspeth smirked. They exchanged glances.

I looked back at Venetia, feeling her stare. She moved her blonde hair out of her face and pointed at me, as if having just remembered something.

"Oh, Felix is upstairs." She said, standing up. She walked over to me, whispering in my ear.

"He's been waiting for you like it's been ages."

I gave her a confused look, acting oblivious like I always did when she hinted to me and Felix being a thing. Ignoring it, Venetia grabbed my wrist and pulled me out of the room. As we walked through a hallway, she glanced back to
make sure the parents were out of sight.

"Look what I was able to sneak in."

I watched as she pulled out a small bag from her bra filled with cannabis. Together, we giggled. I grabbed the bag from her and examined it.

"I've never seen weed that looks like this." I mentioned. It was the truth. We were more drinkers than smokers at Saint Mary's, but there was still a fair share of blunts being passed around for me to know.

"That's because it's not weed; it's cannabis." She told me. I gave her a look and handed the bag back to her.

"Venetia, they're the same thing." I laughed.

"Really?" She wondered. I shrugged, walking us both towards the staircase so I could say hello to Felix.

"I'm pretty sure."

We both shut up as a maid walked by us, not wanting her to go back and tell Elspeth about anything we were discussing.

"Anyways..Farleigh's around here somewhere. Oh, and Mum's friend Pamela."

"Shes still here?" I asked. I didn't know much about Pamela, just that when I talked to Venetia weeks ago over the phone, she had already outstayed her welcome.

"They've been dropping hints for a week now."

Quickly, we were at one of the staircases that lead to the upstairs rooms.

"I'm gonna go say hi to Felix." I said, looking upstairs as my palms began to sweat. Venetia shrugged.

"I'll be waiting for you in the library."

I didn't say anything, but instead watched her walk away as I mentally prepared myself to see Felix again. My knees shook and my heart pounded, but my mind didn't know why my body was having such a reaction. It was just Felix; and his fluffy brown hair, pink lips, sharp jaw, big chin, accent that kept me up at night.

Just Felix.